Emerald Editor Discussion
August 18, 2017, 02:00:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FTP stuff  (Read 7293 times)
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« on: May 22, 2006, 03:12:03 pm »

Presumably an FTP feature will come later.  When the time comes to start working on that, though, I wondered if it would be useful to look at the source code of a good open-source ftp program?  I thought FileZilla (which is now completely utf-8 internally as of its latest version) might be a good choice for that.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 05:26:41 pm »

I LOVE FileZilla.
I have used it for a few years myself.

I think if we do use the source, out of courtesy, we should contact them about all this.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:42:00 pm »

I like FileZilla as well.  Very solid.
Elddric
Prospector

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 06:45:08 pm »

I also agree on the Filezilla. Its one of my standards I carry on my thumbdrive.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:13:17 pm »

FileZilla is GPL, which may raise licensing issues if we are not careful (EE is currently LGPL'd, not fully GPL'd).

It will probably be worth contacting them anyway, but it may be that what we want to achieve isn't quite the same thing that FZ does (at a deeper layer, after all we're not writing an FTP client)

Then again, the same issue may crop up if we try and add OpenSSL (for SFTP support), but it is something that isn't quite so critical right now.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 11:37:10 pm »

FileZilla is GPL, which may raise licensing issues if we are not careful (EE is currently LGPL'd, not fully GPL'd).

Why is that? As I understand it, the LGPL is almost always recommended for libraries only.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 11:41:07 pm »

Well, there was a big debate on it. Actually, it wasn't that big, it was here: http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=11.0

The consensus was that LGPL is not so restrictive and that if people wanted to use the code in a larger project, they'd be able to without forcing them to GPL it as well.

There is nothing presently making us stick with LGPL, nor anything pushing us to be GPL. My view is that unless the situation requires it, we should stick with LGPL for now. If that does change at all, it is a change I can sort out without too much hassle.

daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 11:43:32 pm »

I wasn't around for the discussion and therefore I didn't see it Tongue. Just personally (not saying we have to change) I think that releasing software under the LGPL is less Open Source spirited than full GPL.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 12:07:59 am »

Well, we have of course moved on to full GPL by now, but looking at the subject as a whole, there is a broader aspect to it.

FTP itself is a protocol, and writing a protocol wrapper shouldn't be that difficult (I've written one in PHP before, though that was for special cases of HTTP) but it might be worth referring to FileZilla.

The only problem is that FileZilla is aimed solely at the Windows folks, and needs the SDK to build from, so working out what it's doing and replicating the behaviour without having the SDK may be difficult (but it may not).

I notice that FileZilla refers to OpenSSL to handle negotiation of SSL-secured sites, and that would also help with SCP or SFTP (and no decision has been taken which of these to support). Bringing OpenSSL into the equation does complicate things.

How so? Well...
  • On a Linux/BSD (and possibly Mac OS X), OpenSSL is bundled as standard and can be argued to be system/kernel software. The GPL allows linking a GPL program to non-GPL software if the non-GPL software is considered to be part of the core. Under Windows, however, this does not apply; it's a bolt-on. We will, if/when we use OpenSSL, we will have to consider amending the license to include a clause allowing this linkage.
  • OpenSSL has always held a slightly funny place legally. Strong crypto software must hold a munitions license in the US for legal reasons (one of the oddities), but we can safely assume that OpenSSL has dealt with things like that. However, what we also know is that patents are held which cause a further issue. My copyright/intellectual property knowledge isn't hot enough to ensure that EE would be problem-free if we linked it together.

It may be that we find another way to support SCP/SFTP in the future if this does become a problem.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: