Emerald Editor Discussion
September 23, 2017, 05:31:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your 3 least favorite aspects of CE?  (Read 7439 times)
Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« on: May 22, 2006, 01:33:49 am »

I don't want to dowse the flame, but CE did have a few warts, now didn't it ;-)

Here is an opportunity to learn from history and improve.

(1) The Open File dialog didn't remember last used folders. This is fine if you are only working on one project at a time, but when you start working with multiple projects and doing ad hoc edits, it is annoying to have to re-navigate to the file you want to open. The Project concept helped but some files you edited were not part of any project. The Directory window also helped but you still have to navigate through it.

(2) The macro facility was too limited. You could only do some activities use the macro system. There weren't editable. This hampered the abilility to extended CE with other tools/functionality such as sorting...

(3) I have to use my other editor (Code Genie) a few times a week to compare files, do binary editing, and to sort data.

Yeah, I know that these are on the edge of what an editor is supposed to do, but EE can be the definitive editor in future.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 01:49:09 am »

I don't really have any "least favourite" aspects, it did what I wanted it to do, and that was it, really. My thoughts on the above:

1) That was a niggly thing, but it's partly since CE uses CommonDlg and it's part of that. It would be nice though to find some answer. (I only tend to work on one project at a time, so it wasn't so much of an issue)

2) In theory any action should be macro-usable. It is something alpha was previously talking about.

3) File comparison isn't so outrageous an idea, and I think something like this should be included. Binary editing is, though, very much on the edge. I don't want EE to get schizophrenia over what kind of application it is. A sort procedure would be nice, though.

The issue here, though, is that we don't want to bolt on every kind of feature known, since that won't actually help. The macro processor should help, though, since we would then be able to start making a few macros that do clever stuff, especially if the macro language can do elementary decision-processing (if-then-else) and looping, since things like the Sort become quite easy then.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
ce2000
Miner

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:51:06 am »

1) cant search for "enter" (carriage return) very easily, or any other special things like that (tab, ...)
2) cant use middleclick to close a tab
3) doesnt have file comparision tool

Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:06:23 pm »

1) I want to be able to search through "All Open Documents" the same way you could replace through "All Open Documents".

2) While the search/replace was very powerful, I found it confusing and buggy when it came to using the helper-buttons (like insert tab, insert space, insert special character, etc...).

3) Please add the "Save All" to the tab context menu.  Close All, Save and Save AS are there already, so why not Save All?? lol

Yes, those are more like feature requests, but those are the things that bugged me about CE.
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:52:58 pm »

Hmm, let me see if I can come up with 3

1. Lack of syntax highlighting in files with more than two syntax types. In an ASP file you only got the ASP and the HMTL, no javascript or CSS.

2. I think the project  managment functionality was a bit unspectacular. I don't really dislike it, but I'd like it to do more than it did.

3. The lack find/replace functionality with special characters.

I guess those would have to be the 3 that come to mind first.

Dave
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 06:02:58 pm »

The lack find/replace functionality with special characters is a big one for me.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
hoeltgman
Miner

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 08:07:23 pm »

1) no being able to search special caracters
2) the macro editor which I find a bit weak.... (Or maybe I just don't know how to use it properly)
3) don't know yet....
camomiletea
Prospector

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 10:31:35 pm »

Quote from: ce2000
1) cant search for "enter" (carriage return) very easily, or any other special things like that (tab, ...)
Actually, you could search for tab with a regex \t
Unfortunately, \n or \r (for newline/carriage return) doesn't work, so that is true. Also it would be nifty if there was support for Unicode properties (as they are apparently called). Here's what I mean (from a regex reference):

Code:
  \pP     Match P-named (Unicode) property
   \p{...} Match Unicode property with long name
   \PP     Match non-P
   \P{...} Match lack of Unicode property with long name

POSIX character classes and their Unicode and Perl equivalents:

alnum   IsAlnum              Alphanumeric
   alpha   IsAlpha              Alphabetic
   ascii   IsASCII              Any ASCII char
   blank   IsSpace  [ \t]       Horizontal whitespace (GNU extension)
   cntrl   IsCntrl              Control characters
   digit   IsDigit  \d          Digits
   graph   IsGraph              Alphanumeric and punctuation
   lower   IsLower              Lowercase chars (locale and Unicode aware)
   print   IsPrint              Alphanumeric, punct, and space
   punct   IsPunct              Punctuation
   space   IsSpace  [\s\ck]     Whitespace
           IsSpacePerl   \s     Perl's whitespace definition
   upper   IsUpper              Uppercase chars (locale and Unicode aware)
   word    IsWord   \w          Alphanumeric plus _ (Perl extension)
   xdigit  IsXDigit [0-9A-Fa-f] Hexadecimal digit
It works like this: \p{IsLower} matches any string in lower case. \P{IsLower} matches anything but lowercase (that is uppercase, spaces, punctuation, etc.).

2) Lack of full Unicode support - major major limitation
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 03:32:08 pm »

no multiple markup in one document
not being able to search/replace line-breaks
the ftp is buggy
the project manager is errm crude
no ssh2 (sftp)
thePsychologist
Prospector

Mathematician, psychologist, human.

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 04:57:15 am »

Ah yes there are a few things that could be improved:

1. More advanced macros and space for more than 10 macros and 10 tools.

2. No line folding

3. Inability to scan LaTeX toc file and display the table of contents in a side-pane, and allow navigation of a LaTeX file by this display.

“Sensation tell us a thing is. Thinking tell us what it is this thing is. Feeling tells us what this thing is to us.” - Carl Jung
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: