Emerald Editor Discussion
May 30, 2017, 06:25:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forums  (Read 18254 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 09:43:36 pm »

Well, as you can see it's here, running on SMF quite happily. I found a convertor in the end to go from PunBB to SMF and it was a bit of a pain internally to make run nicely, but still it's running quite nicely now.

Due to one of the limitations of the convertor I used, it has reset any "real names" to their usernames... e.g my "real name" was set to Pete Spicer, but has reverted to Arantor.

We all tend to use nicknames on the forum when referring to each other (except the few who actually use their real names...) so unless you want to change it to your real name, feel free to leave it as is. (It's your forum - it's your call!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:06:45 pm by Arantor » Logged

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 10:43:05 pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention this... the convertor doesn't update any cross-thread links, e.g. where we had referenced another thread in a debate, so I've manually altered the links - consequently there is a "Last modified by Arantor" in there. (Sorry!)

mytreo
Miner

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 10:52:57 am »

Great stuff getting SMF going! Looks real neat.

A couple of things I would do with a fresh SMF install...

Enable quick reply ON and SHOW by default (for this theme).
Make return to topic ON by default (for this theme).

You can find these options hidden in Admin > Themes and Layout > Reset Options > (choose this theme, default) > "Change or reset default options"

Members can then override them in their profile if they wish.
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 11:00:28 am »

BTW, something is SLOW. Maybe you need to tweak the session settings. What type of host is this site on?

I built an SMF forum which now has 200,000+ members (mytreo.net) and I also write mods for SMF (see SMFSEO.org) so I would be happy to volunteer as a forum admin if you like, it is probably the best way I can contribute to this project at the moment - I am not an "interfering" forum admin so I wouldn't be the type to jump on every message!
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 11:50:39 am »

For reference, it's a Linode 160 from www.linode.com running very, very little except for Apache, PHP, MySQL and occasionally serving Python scripts (for http://svn.emeraldeditor.com/ where it runs ViewVC)

It also serves the SVN when anyone downloads from it with an SVN client (e.g. RapidSVN, TortoiseSVN et al)

I've just logged into the server itself and the figures are surprisingly low - the figures suggest that there is little going on with the server, so I don't think it's that. (uptime reports a load average of 0.03 for the last 15 minutes and top shows an overall load less than I would expect it to be)

Please remember though that this server handles four websites, including the traffic- and resource-hungry www.thevoicesofmany.com and not forgetting the busy forum that is EE!

mytreo
Miner

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 01:15:19 pm »

The critical thing is the amount of RAM and how apache/mysql are configured to use it. Hmmm, the linode 160 has 160MB of RAM, did I read that right? I am not sure 160MB of RAM is really enough for running LAMP on a busy site.

Probably not worth it with so little RAM but SMF could use a php accelerator (preferably eaccelerator) and a few tweaks in my.cnf to give it enough memory so it can cache queries.

if the forum gets larger you will want to change some of the tables to use the Innodb engine instead of MyISAM otherwise table locking will become a problem. You should also create a search index using the tool in the SMF admin, otherwise a deep forum search could bring the server down for 20-30 seconds at a time.

edit: btw i like the look of linode (but I do still wonder about the low amount of RAM). which flavour of Linux have you got running? i wouldn't mind a linode server to play with myself!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 01:17:55 pm by mytreo » Logged
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 01:53:18 pm »

Well, even when the server is busy running off with its dialect translation thingy (the 5,000 a day figure is not constant, but in bursts), the server never runs more than 10MB into swap memory, so maybe 160MB isn't quite so bad.

Zend Optimiser is currently running on the site but I don't think it'll help as much as a full accelerator would.

It's running Ubuntu 5.10 at the moment (there are limits to what you can run given that you can't use your own kernel, but that's the only real limitation)

MySQL is using its query cache quite well given what it's running (the site also hosts 2 installations of MediaWiki, although traffic on those is low). my.cnf is configured in such a way as to run without consuming all the memory available - it's not an out-of-the-box setup.

I've not run into any problems with it so far, but part of the reason for the move to forum.emeraldeditor.com was to deliberately move its namespace so that if I moved it to another server it would be a fairly simple job - or at least easier than moving the location of emeraldeditor.com/forum around (so to speak)

I am always looking to improve the performance of the sites I run, so any thoughts are welcome.

Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 05:38:52 pm »

I see you have tried changing the default SMF blue to some sort of Emerald green.  The dull green looks just fine, but the bright green is just too bright.  Perhaps leave the dull green, but switch the bright green to Black instead?  Or maybe not black, but something less bright, hehe.  Roll Eyes
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 05:46:08 pm »

Yep, quite right.

The bright green is a bit bright, isn't it? I'll sort that shortly.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 05:49:51 pm »

Sorted. Try that. (May need a power refresh - Ctrl-F5 in IE, Firefox et al - to clear the cached CSS)

Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 12:14:54 am »

Much better Smiley
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 10:04:49 pm »

For anyone who has any trouble with uploading custom avatars, it should now function properly.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: