Emerald Editor Discussion
March 29, 2017, 12:07:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Forums  (Read 17938 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: May 21, 2006, 12:19:46 pm »

Hi all,
As per http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=89 there has been a suggestion to change the forum to SMF instead of PunBB.

Moving the forums will take a lot of time to do, especially if I preserve all the links, as there is a chance I'll end up doing it manually.

I think we do need to move forums, and soon, but:
1. Are people happy to re-register on the forum?
2. Are we just going to restart the forums, or do people want me to port the existing posts over? If I do, I'll end up moving a forum at a time, and locking threads as I move them.

I will, of course, apply the new Emerald theme to SMF once installed. As for using the SMF API, I may try and integrate the user logins with the bug tracker so users are consistent across the applications. I won't integrate with SVN logins, however, as it raises too many security issues.

Please let me know your thoughts over the next week, and we'll make the decision next weekend when I'm back off holiday.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:48:02 pm by Arantor » Logged

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 04:53:02 pm »

I think that everything needs to be converted over (as we have some fairly useful things, at the moment). What you could do is download phpBB and use this converter: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=298342&highlight=punbb to convert the current punBB to phpBB. From there, almost anything has a converter from phpBB to another system. However, just staying at phpBB would work too. Even though converting twice sounds more circuitous, it's probably easier than manually converting.
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 06:07:42 pm »

Well, if you think we ought to move over then feel free to do your thing.

Given the size of the board/number of members I wouldn't worry about keeping the forums up and running while you're switching.  Just take the forums down for a couple of hours to switch it all at once.

If you use a converter, then we won't have to re-register or worry about recreating posts.

There is a phpBB converter on this page http://www.simplemachines.org/download/?converters

I also did a real quick search and found a couple posts about converting directly from punbb to smf, but I'm not sure if there was an actual converter in those posts and if so, if it would even work with the current versions.
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:22:48 am »

I just wrote a long reply but at the same time was searching SMF for the elusive punbb converter. Eventually tracked it down to here...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=38966.0

Voila Viola. Worst case it will need a few test runs and a little debugging. It's only SQL afterall.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:28:59 pm »

I say move it to either SMF or phpBB.
I have used phpbb quite a bit, and just installed SMF on my own site for testing....

SMF is quite impressive.
Either is fine with me.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 06:11:28 pm »

I dont have anything contrustive to add, except that moving it is probably a good idea and moving it sooner than later will certainly be easier.

It might not be as important or much different for people just dropping in occasionaly, but having better control and tracking will be nice, and will make it much easier for contributors to work with.

Dave
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 10:09:05 pm »

Here is a link of a convertor from PunBB to SMF
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=30945.0

Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 10:41:52 pm »

SMF is quite nice.  I have not used punBB so I cant offer thoughts there.

SMF since I just installed it has quite a bit of functionality
1)  Unlimited Child Forums (A forum within a forum within a forum..etc)
2)  User Groups...
3)  templates
4)  Package Manager to install mods (I havent done this yet, but its built to be EASY .... not editing source code)
5)  Private Messages (I think we should definately have PM's...quite valuable)
6)  Increased Security (all admin actions actually require a password, not a cookie)
7)  Statistics
Cool  Announcements
9)  External integration (Exports forums via XML or RSS) Something we can use for News...use the forum, not edit front page code

Just a few things I think are quite valuable

mytreo
Miner

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 12:38:20 am »

Quote from: Zhrakkan
Here is a link of a convertor from PunBB to SMF
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=30945.0
The converter is not there, it is in the first post of the link I gave above (in reply #4).

SMF is a very powerful and safe forum software. You won't be disappointed. SMF 1.1RC2 is safe too so probably better not to bother with 1.0.7 (the converters are mostly to convert to 1.1 anyway).
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 01:07:45 am »

Personally, the only thing that I care about in a forum system is that it remember what posts are read and what aren't.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 01:37:54 pm »

Arantor, I personally performed a forums migration just about 3 days ago on a personal site from phpBB to SMF.
Worked well.  I suggest we use it, PunBB by itself is fine, but there are features really sorely missed.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 02:37:56 pm »

I'm hearing a lot about SMF, so I will look into the migration over the weekend (I'm not back in work till Tuesday due to a bank holiday on Monday)

One thing I will do, however, is move the forum - to forums.emeraldeditor.com. The reason for this is because I can balance load better that way, and if the project gets real busy in the future, it means I can move it to a different physical server in the future should I ever need to, at least I can move it a whole lot easier than doing it any other way.

To me, the movement to SMF seems like the best time to do it, and what'll happen is I'll put a notice up instead of the forum when it happens, politely advising that the forums are moving - that way I can just do the migration quickly and cleanly, which is the ideal.

SMF's website appears to be down right now, though, so I'll investigate that as soon as it is back up later.

Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 02:44:49 pm »

Arantor, you can check out
http://www.digitalentropy.net

I can grant you access if you want it.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 02:54:22 pm »

It looks good! I might have to read some more there, actually...

I will try and theme up any SMF installation to be more in keeping with EE's main theme (now we appear to have one we all like), which is also part of the reason for the move, actually... it's easier to manage if it's in a subdomain. (At least it is for me!)

Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 03:02:55 pm »

Just advice I learned

when moving phpbb to smf
the RC version was not supported by the convertor.  I had to install version 1.0.7 and migrate the existing data.  Then I will upgrade later to the next version of the board.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: