Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 12:43:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wxStEdit  (Read 7806 times)
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« on: May 20, 2006, 02:03:22 am »

I was wondering what role wxStEdit will play in the final build of EE. At the moment, we're linking to it as a library, which I don't think we should be doing.

Personally, I think that we should use wxStEdit as a base and add, remove, and modify that code as we want, instead of using it as a linked library. This will make future additions much easier, etc. Another option would be to start anew, using wxStEdit only as a guide.

Thoughts?
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 03:57:27 am »

Though a lot more work, I would vote for using wxStEdit simply as a guide.  Same goes for Sintillia (sp?), just use it as a guide.  Ultimately, I'd like to see relience on outside code kept to a minimum, but that's just me.

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 06:14:05 pm »

I think we should use wxStEdit as a base an refactor and restructure it to our needs. This would not take much time and the result would be very good. I don't have much time, however I will contribute as much as I can. If you guys have more time and if you want to go the other route I will support this as much as I can as well.

Markus Schulz
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:29:02 pm »

Okay, thanks alpha Smiley. What I'll do (in the next few days or so) is move the wxStEdit code from being a library to being our core code. Then we can start working with this and refactoring, etc. But that will allow for more feature expansion (and GUI cleanup) than just linking to it as a library.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 08:51:41 pm »

Sounds good to me. I figured that it is probably the best route in the end, since we don't want to include lots of extra features we aren't going to use.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 03:32:37 am »

Alright, the source is migrated and I'm working on bringing the code up to standards. I (think) I've updated the Bakefile right (though not sure), but I haven't rebuild the Makefile/other build files.

If somebody wants to go ahead and try building it, that'd be great. It builds fine on OSX. Remember that you no longer link wxStEdit as a static library; you only need wxWidgets and wxStyledTextControl libraries.
awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 04:18:49 pm »

Quote from: daemon
Alright, the source is migrated and I'm working on bringing the code up to standards. I (think) I've updated the Bakefile right (though not sure), but I haven't rebuild the Makefile/other build files.

If somebody wants to go ahead and try building it, that'd be great. It builds fine on OSX. Remember that you no longer link wxStEdit as a static library; you only need wxWidgets and wxStyledTextControl libraries.
I tried to build this on Mac following your directions, and Xcode gives me the error "Project [path/to/projectfile]/EmeraldEditor.xcodeproj cannot be opened because the project file cannot be parsed."  Any thoughts?

Compiled on Solaris, and it still needed to link to wxStEdit (I thinkered with a couple different options and couldn't get it to compile and link without the '-lstedit' option).  I'll look into this more when I get a chance...

awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 06:08:30 pm »

Okay, digging around a little, I found that neither the makefile nor the bakefile attempts to compile the stedit code.  This is right at the edge of my knowledge, but I tried to compile stedit as an object and include it in the link command, which didn't work.  I suspect the stedit code still needs to be compiled as a (static?) library, but am not knowledgeable on how to do that at this time.

(Edit)
Anyway, I took a look at the makefile for wxstedit, and I can visualize what needs to be done, I just do not have the time to work on it right now...

(Edit X 2)
Thank You alpha.  With your new makefile, I was able to get this compiled on Solaris with stedit as part of the project.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:31:17 pm »

I'm glad that we seem to be refining our build process and core platform. Once we start removing parts of wxStEdit we don't need, we can start building leaner packages.

awmyhr, would you mind posting your experiences about building it on Solaris in the Cross-platform code forum? We already have comments on compiling it for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X and adding a thread on Solaris builds will help draw other people in - why shouldn't it build and run on Solaris?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:49:31 pm by Arantor » Logged

awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:59:17 pm »

Quote from: Arantor
I'm glad that we seem to be refining our build process and core platform. Once we start removing parts of wxStEdit we don't need, we can start building leaner packages.

awmyhr, would you mind posting your experiences about building it on Solaris in the Cross-platform code forum? We already have comments on compiling it for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X and adding a thread on Solaris builds will help draw other people in - why shouldn't it build and run on Solaris?
LOL, this was done a few days ago http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=88 complete w/screen shot.  I'll do my best to keep up with Solaris as long as I'm at my present job as I've got a SunBlade on my desktop, but I'm planning to change jobs in the fall.  However, if the E-Bay gods are nice to me, I'll have one at home by then...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:50:27 pm by Arantor » Logged

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 05:39:44 pm »

Sorry about that!! I noticed it originally, but where I've been away on holiday my brain is addled!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: