Emerald Editor Discussion
March 27, 2017, 11:42:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Website Design  (Read 28423 times)
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2006, 09:43:48 pm »

Yep, it all looks good (even in Opera).
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2006, 11:02:15 am »

looks sweet, even at 800 x 600.  That white bit in the "e" is still bugging me though!
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2006, 11:42:58 am »

Which e - there are three to choose from?

I can't see any white parts where there aren't meant to be any?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2006, 01:21:41 pm »

the "e" in editor:

Open Source multi-purpose text editor for Windows / Linux / BSD / Mac-OSX
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2006, 01:54:52 pm »

Ooops. I missed that one - I thought I'd got it! (Seeing how I got all the others)

Should be sorted now.

Nick
Miner

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2006, 10:13:34 pm »

Phew, I've been feeling a bit rough this week so haven't been up to much, my head's starting to clear up a bit so here goes!

I'm actually a bit disappointed about how the website is looking at the mo; nothing huge but an accumulation of details. I've continued "my vision" of it because I think I'll keep the basic idea for an upcoming project, whether it's adopted here or not.

This template here represents the stage I'm at.

Rather than make a list I'll just say I think this puts right all the details I don't like about the current design. Smiley

Note the rollover effect on the main menu! (doesn't work on Mac IE5- or other older browsers but degrades gracefully)

Pete, if it's just a matter of time & effort changing the existing, I'd be glad to get my hands dirty. Btw, even though the idea of using svn integrally to manage the website source seems a bit too much hassle, would it be simple enough just to post a "inactive copy" of the source to the repository..?

Down in the bottom right of the footer is a little idea I had to replace the "jewl of an editor" tagline. I've had a play around with an anagram generator and come up with a whole bunch (50) of anagrams for "Emerald editor" (and I'm sure there are more good ones to be found). Here is the list. I thought maybe a quick few lines of php could serve a different one with each page request.

Note "lame red editor"... Smiley

Forgot to say : The forums are looking good! Now there's a good use for those emeralds!   Wink
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 10:23:02 pm by Nick » Logged
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2006, 10:30:30 pm »

IMHO, this is why having the website sources in SVN is good. I'm not saying that automatically updating the live site to include the changes is the right way to go, but having it in SVN will allow branching to occur and changes to be made. Then when any new changes have been tested and are ensured to not break anything unexpectedly, then the live site can be updated.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006, 12:47:14 pm »

I hadn't thought of it that way, actually.

Let me explain currently how the server is set up, and how I'll try and add it to SVN: (directory names are not set exactly as this, but this is how it basically works)

Code:
/home
  /emerald_editor_user
    /forum_system
    /public_html
      /about
      /downloads
      /images
      /incs
    /svn_web_client

I have no issue with /public_html and tree being added to SVN (please note the code is not at all great) but do not feel that either /forum_system or /svn_web_client should be added.

I am coming round to the idea of having the web source in the SVN, since it can be checked out to the main site without too much hassle (one svn co from me!) but since it is PHP rather than static HTML it may be a little difficult to test without bringing out to a world-readable site.

I still like the idea of a rotating tagline (i.e. a different tagline each page or something), but having one randomly generated per page raises issues with search engines and their caching, so I was thinking of changing it on a daily basis, rather than per-page.

I also like the anagrams ("LAME RED EDITOR" seems almost ironic) but I think that perhaps the meaning might be lost a bit on new people and inductees to the Emerald Editor School of Thought.

I can see where your thoughts are going with the site, Nick, and I will put the source of the main site (if nothing else) into SVN/website tonight hopefully, so please feel free to play around with it to see what you want to do with it. I personally like the existing site, layout, etc. but know that not everyone likes it, so I really should stop wielding the executive power! Wink

Nick, As the person who has had more input into the look 'n' feel of Emerald Editor than most, I'm sorry I didn't do your template justice. I just wanted to take its goodness, tweak it a little, liberally sprinkle emeralds, and add it online.

Perhaps making the emeralds smaller would balance the small green bullet points in your template, and the 'cute' factor in mine?

I'm not a graphic designer as you will all have seen! Wink I'm more a hobbyist programmer (sometimes) so I don't always manage to implement graphical things the way they need to do them the best justice. That also goes for HTML, I don't always use the best HTML for the job, as said before, but that's a picky/semantic thing.

The code was salvaged from another project, so the tab system etc. is almost shoddily built, and probably could be cleaned up. (If I'm completely honest, I guess the shoddy coding is one of the reasons I've been reluctant to add to the SVN, although I think I never really realised it before)

*sigh* I guess I'm just not quite the coder I thought I was... (I can dream, anyhow)

Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2006, 02:28:05 pm »

If you put a robots.txt file in the svn directories that disallow all crawlers, the major search engines shouldn't link you.
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2006, 08:36:12 pm »

Personally, I think the header is too large.  Should be at most half the size - at least on every page other then the home page.  Just a personal preference I wanted to share with anyone who wanted to listen...

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2006, 10:49:00 pm »

Feldon, both forum.emeraldeditor.com and svn.emeraldeditor.com should have a robots.txt which requests all compliant user-agents to stop processing - simply because otherwise the bandwidth usage will become enormous.

awmyhr, the header is a contentious issue; a number of people have suggested it should be bigger, not smaller. I think the current size is a nice balance, but it is one I'm happy to be flexible with if people want it to happen. Changing it is only a matter of resizing it in GIMP and adjusting the CSS file. Both are going into SVN shortly so people can download and play and it can be cascaded back to the main site fairly easily afterwards.

Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 12:21:37 am »

awmyhr, the header is a contentious issue; a number of people have suggested it should be bigger, not smaller. I think the current size is a nice balance, but it is one I'm happy to be flexible with if people want it to happen. Changing it is only a matter of resizing it in GIMP and adjusting the CSS file. Both are going into SVN shortly so people can download and play and it can be cascaded back to the main site fairly easily afterwards.

To all who want to make it bigger, take a look at the main page in 1024x768 or 800x600 (which are still both very common) and you will see why it can't be a whole lot taller.  The header plus your browser menu/toolbars would take up more than a third of the screen height.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: