Emerald Editor Discussion
May 24, 2017, 06:57:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Website Design  (Read 28910 times)
Nick
Miner

« on: May 20, 2006, 12:45:00 am »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here goes...

Just an idea! Smiley
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 12:53:59 am »

I like it!

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 01:53:36 am »

As do I. What is it written in? Just HTML?
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 09:59:56 am »

I do like that a lot. It gives it a style which is lean, clean and modern. (Admittedly I'm still biased by my original work, but that's been in use since 2002 with minor modifications over time)

It can be just HTML, but it would be easier to code and maintain as a HTML/CSS hybrid (like it is now)

I'm already playing around with that layout to see what it looks like!!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 10:10:36 am »

Looks great Nick. Nice and clean.

The current look is kinda dated (sorry), and looks a bit like an MS Frontpage template Shocked
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 10:15:11 am »

No apologies necessary, mytreo, it was something I threw together in about 10 minutes from my existing source, but it very definitely isn't an MS FrontPage template, it's homegrown PHP and HTML!

mytreo
Miner

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 10:37:36 am »

hehe, how to insult a webmaster - tell him his design looks like it fell out of MS Frontpage circa 1999. Wink

that was a bit low huh! Smiley

I do like the new design though...
Nick
Miner

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 10:56:37 am »

Sorry Pete, thought the subject had to be brought up!  Wink

It's just a layered pic at the mo, available at http://diaboloteur.free.fr/emerald/psd/PageModel_01.psd for any tinkerers.

I'll let thought of a re-design mature a bit before I rush off and produce the code for it!
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 11:16:16 am »

Well, it seems to be positive and no-one said that what we had was set in stone - least of all me. To be honest, I'm kinda glad because I felt a bit like I was dictating how this project should look and feel and operate - and that's not what I wanted it to be. This is a community project, and I want the community to decide how they want it to work and look.

The consensus is that this is "good", so I'm looking at writing the code... and in the process learning a bit about CSS (I hashed the previous layout together using... ack... tables. I apologise now!) and the only bit that's actually being stubborn is the menu bar.

mytreo
Miner

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 11:32:50 am »

do a search for "sliding doors css menu" to get that menu bar Wink
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 11:46:38 am »

Thanks, but I just figured out a way of doing it myself! It's not particularly clean for now, but it is functional.

I'm also not sure how to put the image in... I want to make the background gradient applicable no matter what the width of page is - on my 1280x1024 desktop for example, it would look a little strange having the image be only 900 pixels across (like above) but at the same time it would look funny on a smaller window.

The obvious answer is a transparent PNG - we already have one - but transparents PNGs don't show so well on anything less than IE 7... comments anyone?

mytreo
Miner

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 12:14:04 pm »

use a gif or png (1px slice) as the background-image for the div and repeat horizontal - it will fill whatever width the div is.

(then position the main logo as a transparent gif in the center of the div)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 12:26:24 pm »

How about what I've done with the main site?

I know it's a teeny bit off in IE6, but it looks perfect in Firefox.

I haven't SVN'd it yet, I just thought I'd bring it up and invite comments. (I have backed up the previous work as well)

mytreo
Miner

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 02:48:45 pm »

It looks good.

I would like to suggest that you consider changing the forum to SMF instead of punBB. SMF is a lot more versatile and I truly believe you are going to discover a lot of limitations and annoyances with punBB before long (it is designed to be limited though, so if that's what you want, then cool).

Other than the fact that SMF is a really nice forum, the thing I like most is that it has an API and SSI features which make it perfect for integrating with the rest of the site too so the site can easily become a fully integrated portal (with just one membership system) if need be.

Up to you of course, but I think long term it would be the right choice. And better to move now with few members and few posts than have a headache in 12 months time.

Chris
Nick
Miner

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 03:08:05 pm »

Like Mytreo said, you should use a 1px wide strip for the gradient background then align the logo in the center.

I was under the impression that even older IE versions could display transparent PNGs, the problem was with the alpha layer and that any semi-transparent pixel would come out as opaque. Can anyone confirm/disprove this?

Could use a GIF instead but I'm trying to avoid using GIFs because it's not a "free" format, whereas PNG is!

Was going to say more but looks like "somebody" is changing things as I type so I'll hold on for a bit...  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: