Emerald Editor Discussion
March 31, 2017, 01:26:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mainframe "low values" -- handled differently?  (Read 3599 times)
zmulls
Prospector

« on: August 29, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »

I work on an IBM mainframe system, and just encountered a problem I've never had before with the Editor.   I prefer Crimson Editor to Notepad for lots of reasons.  I am using what I think is the latest version ( Crimson Editor SVN286M English) and I am now working with a new laptop running Windows 7 (and the latest version of Office).

I often take a sequential file from the mainframe and FTP it or download it to my PC, to work with it in Crimson Editor.    I had some records in my file that contained low values (a Hex X'00') in a few fields.   When I opened the file in Crimson Editor, some fields after the low values were *missing* in the software.  (They were still there, but they were not visible or usable in Crimson Editor).

I have not had a problem with low values before, those fields registered as a single byte of garbage.  But now the field is glossed over as if it is not there.   

It seems to be a Windows 7 "improvement."     The field I am looking at has three low-values bytes (X'000000').   If I open this file in Notepad, the file looks "normal" (all columns line up).   When I try to import the file into the new Excel, Excel pretends the low-values bytes aren't there and shifts the columns over, so some records are three-bytes off from the others.  When I open up the file in Crimson Editor, information following the low-values just vanishes.

Has anyone seen this happen?
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »

Could you post an example of the file? I have not seen this myself.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: