Emerald Editor Discussion
July 21, 2017, 03:44:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Going cross-plattform for Emerald editor is a bad idea  (Read 10306 times)
Catonga
Prospector

« on: October 07, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »

in my opinion as Windows and Linux user.

And to clearify this, here are my reason why:

The best thing about crimson-editor was besides its powerfull editing capabilties its turbo fast loading & starting time, which allows the user to use Crimson Editor as a fast and more powerfull replacement for MS Notepad.
And the reason for the fast loading time was the use of Microsft Foundation Classes (MFC) API, which is allready loaded
on every Windows machine everytime after Windows is started.

So when using MFC there is no need to load another big or from a Windows standpoint additional GUI Toolkit API in background,
that consumes time to load, resulting in a software programm that has very long loading times.

So, if you use wxwidgets for EE to get crossplattform capabilites, you'll have this additional GUI Toolkit API (here wxwidgets) which has to be loaded all the time, you start EE.
And this will result in an Emerald Editor, with long loading times.
I use Crimson Editor as a fast replacement for Notepad, so i need startup times below one second.
On my machine this is possible with Notepad and with Crimson Editor, thanks for WinAPI in case of Notepad and MFC in case of Crimson Editor.

But for EE with wxwidgets, this loading time will my much longer. Especially if you use a normal hard drive and not a SSD.

I also don't know why it is a neccessary to make EE crossplatform capable.
There are allready very good and Open source crossplattform capable Editors out there, which run on Windows, Mac OS and Linux and are as powerfull as Crimson Editor is today.
For example to mention one, i bring the editor "Geany" in place:
http://www.geany.org/

Geany is such a powerfull crossplatform capable editor.
It can replace Crimson Editor on Windows easily, but NOT in loading time.

The reason is, Geany builts on top of GTK+. Another GUI Toolkit besides wxwidgets.
And this GTK+ API has to be loaded in memory all the time on a windows or mac machine, when Geany is started, resulting in the above mentioned long loading times.
There's only a difference on Linux, if you use a Desktop Environment like Gnome or XFCE (but not KDE) that both are based on GTK+. So on this desktop environments, GTK+ is allready loaded in memory, so Geany can load fast on those plattforms.

But as i said, this isn't the case on Windows, Mac or "Linux with KDE" machines, and it won't be the Case with Emerald Editor that is based on wxwidgets.
As long as Emerald Editor is based on wxwidgets, you will have an additional time penalty for loading the wxwidget API into memory.

So Emerald Editor won't be a good replacement for Notepad like Crimson Editor is.

And because of that, and because of the fact, there are allready enough free open source alternative Crossplattform capable Editors out there, i don't think it is a good idea to base
Emerald Editor on wxwidgets, just to get crossplattform capability.

The main system of crimson editor is and was windows, and crimson editor was perfect because of its fast loading time on that and only platform.
If Emerald Editor want's to replace crimson editor, it has in my opinion to be fast in loading too.

That's why i suggest to dump the crossplattform capability  and the use of wxwidget library.
Instead, Emerald Editor should use MFC, like Crimson Editor did, to get those fast loading times on Windows.

I also want to add, it might be not a good idea to base EE editor on .NET.
.NET might be allready loaded on Windows Vista or 7 in memory, but this is not the case on Windows 2k or WinXP.
So if EE should have a fast loading time on WinXP, you musn't use .NET.

The only solutions to guarantee a fast loading time for the Emerald editor on Windows are the use of the MFC or the WinAPI.
And if you use MFC or WinAPI, you'll lose the crossplatform capability. Though there is the wine software availble on Linux, to load Windows programms on Linux. See here: -> www.winehq.org
I don't know if there are such things like wine available on Mac OS X.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:19:56 pm by Catonga » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: