Emerald Editor Discussion
October 19, 2017, 04:42:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IRC channel?  (Read 8007 times)
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« on: May 18, 2006, 10:27:02 pm »

Perhaps we ought to register #emerald-editor or #emerald or #emeraldeditor on Freenode?

I'd imagine there could be some good convo's about emeral editor happening in there, hehe.  Plus, I'd hate if some other project stole it on us, haha.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:28:47 pm »

go for it

I myself am not a big IRC guy..so I might never show up there but others might ...

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:23:05 pm »

I don't use IRC myself, but if we want to register #emeraldeditor, it can be arranged.

Before I do so, please let me know if this is something people are likely to want.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 10:43:05 am »

I aint really into IRC either, but I do know that the perfect place to host an IRC channel for a collaboration like this is www.freenode.net - it is used by many open-source projects as their IRC "home" (Debian, Apache, MySQL to name a few)

"Freenode provides discussion facilities for the Free and Open Source Software communities, for not-for-profit organizations and for related communities and organizations. In 1998, the network had about 200 users and less than 20 channels. The network currently has nearly 30,000 users, freenode  provides facilities to a variety of groups and organizations."

http://www.freenode.net

Cheers
Chris
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 10:44:13 am »

Whoops, didn't see that freenode had already been mentioned. It is saturday morning!
simpleid
Prospector

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:24:37 pm »

I can see how if you are foreign to the 'IRC world' you may feel it's out of place, but if you open up to it and stuck with it for a short time I think you'd understand why it's so popular for programmers and other various internet groups.

IRC is not like your typical 'chat program', I'll post something more lengthy in the thread you create, but you should read this page if you're foreign to the concept behind IRC. It may explain some things to you as you sound to me unaware of what it might actually be. Smiley

http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc.html

When the site and project grows, you will I guarantee see requests for IRC, and for a great reason in fact! It's too damn useful lol. Smiley

Yes there is a learning curve to understanding it's protocol, which is very simple given a short amount of time, but I already know from heavy experience in working on programming projects over the internet that the demand will grow down the road. So learning it now would only be of benefit to everyone involved.

I could be wrong about the build up in demand, but like I said, I've seen it happen a lot so this is just a heads-up for a likely potential.

A great aspect in IRC is the ability to customize your channel with scripts and IRC Bots, which can moderate, log and entertain occupants of a channel during idle times... you could even have a network of channels linked by bots, so you could separate people in to groups of rooms within IRC but also be connected through bots.

It can even get more complex then that if you became interested enough, not to mention a full p2p circle can be formed to share code and work together.

IRC can become a virtual working environment.

I've already ranted on too much, but only because I believe some of you might be missing out on something you weren't aware of.

Which I could be wrong about that as well... oh well. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:31:29 pm by simpleid » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: