Emerald Editor Discussion
August 18, 2017, 02:09:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3.72 SVN286 slow to start  (Read 3389 times)
ATB
Prospector

« on: July 13, 2011, 04:00:59 pm »

My Windows 7 PC has recently been reconfigured to move my account to a different group.  For an interim period I am able to switch between the two accounts, which are superficially identical.

I noticed immediately that on the new account Crimson Editor was very slow to start:  24 sec, the first time, 5 sec thereafter.  I could make both starts 5 sec by disabling Microsoft Security Essentials realtime protection.  During the long waits the process gobbling the CPU time was running MsMpEng.exe.

The mystery is that on the old account startup of the same cedt.exe was more or less instantaneous.  I checked for obvious differences between the two accounts (VM settings for example) and found none.  No other applications that I have tried so far exhibit the same problem.

So I de-installed SVN286 and installed instead SVN263.  The problem has gone away: start-up under both accounts is sub-0.5s.

Is there a known explanation for this behaviour?  Are there any additional tests I can carry out?
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:34:58 pm »

I found a source of slow start. When InitInstance calls InitLocalDrives that's what takes a lot of time. After I disabled InitLocalDrives CE starts really fast. I could not detect any regressions after that. I'm going to test it for a little while and will post updated version if everything works fine.

PN.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: