Emerald Editor Discussion
May 26, 2017, 02:39:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Move/twin line-endings pref to Save dialogs  (Read 8566 times)
SilversleevesX
Miner

« on: June 24, 2011, 10:25:56 pm »

I got very used to this in BBEdit Lite (now TextWrangler) in Mac OS/OS X, and I miss it.

Sometimes you either don't want to save a file to UNIX if your prefs are set that way, and sometimes the utility or application you're editing the file for, can't parse UNIX (or DOS or, heaven help us, MAC) line endings. Or for whatever reason can't use the file once edited.

A full-stop move of this preference to dialogs might confuse new users, so I suggest a checkbox in Preferences>File under the two for UNIX format -- local and remote -- that reads "Enable format change in dialogs" that turns on either a pull-down menu or radio buttons in Save File dialogs where users can select DOS or MAC, but defaults according to either the pref or the CR/LF of the file when opened in EE.

Just a little tweak to make things more convenient, which is to say "time-saving."

BZT
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:15 am »

Hello,

I don't quite follow you. What would "Enable format change in dialogs" change?

For example:

• If "Enable format change in dialogs" is checked then ...
  • If "Enable format change in dialogs" is NOT checked then ...

Cheers,
PN.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
SilversleevesX
Miner

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:53:38 am »

Hello,

I don't quite follow you. What would "Enable format change in dialogs" change?

For example:

• If "Enable format change in dialogs" is checked then ...
  • If "Enable format change in dialogs" is NOT checked then ...

Cheers,
PN.

Checked, you get the more-elaborate Save dialog that includes the blinkless (radio) buttons, checkbox or pull-down that give/s a selection of line-endings;
Unchecked, you get the ordinary Save dialog, and the line-ending setting from your Preferences is applied to the file when saved.

Hope this clarifies it.

BZT
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:56:03 am by SilversleevesX » Logged
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:56:29 am »

Checked, you get the more-elaborate Save dialog that includes the blinkless (radio) buttons, checkbox or pull-down that give/s a selection of line-endings;
Unchecked, you get the ordinary Save dialog, and the line-ending setting from your Preferences is applied to the file when saved.

Hope this clarifies it.

BZT

Heh...

Well, I got that part from the first post. The question was a little deeper. What I'm trying to understand is what benefit would it introduce comparing to current implementation.

Right now you have an option to set default line endings - Save local/remote as UNIX. So you can set DOS or UNIX format by default. Mac is not available as a default option but I don't think there are many users of CE who want Mac as a default Smiley.

Imagine you have an open file with UNIX line endings and you don't like it. Either you opened an existing UNIX file or you created a new file as a UNIX file (because your default option is UNIX) and you want to save it as DOS.

Imagine that "Enable format change in dialogs" is there.

What should be the default setting for the list box in the Save dialog?
Should it match existing line ending format?
If yes then what do we gain? We can still do it through Document menu.

Also unless you are doing "Save As" or you have a new file you will not see "Save" dialog. You will still need to change the format through the Document menu.

Cheers,
PN.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: