Emerald Editor Discussion
May 28, 2017, 01:18:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your 3 most favourite features of Crimson Editor?  (Read 16200 times)
Chromatic Aberration
Prospector

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 01:41:46 am »

My 3 most favourite features of Crimson Editor are:
1. Speed
2. Highlighted search
3. Tabbed documents
... and FTP!

Well, my 4 most favourite features of Crimson Editor are:
1. Speed
2. Highlighted search
3. Tabbed documents
4. FTP
... and customizable color schemes!

OK... my 5 most favourite features of Crimson Editor are:
1. Speed
2. Highlighted search
3. Tabbed documents
4. FTP
5. Customizable color schemes
... and stability!

So, my 6 most favorite features of Crimson Editor...

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
camomiletea
Prospector

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 09:57:43 pm »

A friend recommended me CrimsonEditor when I complained recently of having to use half a dozen programs for similar tasks. The features that are most important for me are (in no particular order):
1) Unicode support with ability to specify whether you want BOM (Byte Order Mark) or not
2) Syntax highlighting with ability to add your own
3) Extensive regex support

Of slightly more minor considerations were spell-check, line and column numbers (in the status bar, which seems to be pretty standard), ability to change the case of a selected text (uppercase, lowercase, title case), and being relatively light-weight. Another feature that would be nice is ability to compare documents (diff), but not essential. Of features that seem to be planned for Emerald Editor, I don't need
* Scientific Calculator
* Code folding (although I accede that it could be useful; perhaps if it was optional)

I had tried out Crimson Editor and it almost fulfilled my wishes, except for the fact it didn't handle Unicode well. Because Unicode support is essential for me, I picked Notepad++ for now, the first editor I found with features I need, although its regex support is minimal.

Thanks for listening and good luck!
BlackTea
Miner

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 05:32:55 am »

The 3 features I use the most in Crimson:
1) Replace tabs with hard spaces
2) Macros
3) Column mode-

You won't believe the number of times over the years I've used these features to format code.
thePsychologist
Prospector

Mathematician, psychologist, human.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 04:52:08 am »

There are many features like tabbed MDI interface, etc that I find enormously useful, but I'm going to list three features which I like and are hard to find anywhere else (perhaps one or two, but all three in the same editor?! very hard)

1. Column Mode (editing large datasets such as removing unwanted columns or other crazy spaces). Column mode is the bomb.

2. Appearance. The very easy way to change the syntax coloring globally for all syntax types. `Keyword 1', etc. Some editors have the color descriptions in the syntax files themselves or have some crazy configuration file to edit or else only have a few options for color. Not Crimson editor! Colors are easy to change. This is important because I get bored of the same color scheme very fast and I need something new. Other thing in the appearance category: line spacing!!! It's so much easier to edit when I increase the line spacing. I can't express how much this sets CE apart from other editors.

3. Tools easily configurable: allows me to use LaTeX with ease and compile C++ programs as well. I wish there were more than 10 spots, but tools can be loaded and saved so it's not so bad. Same with the Macros.

“Sensation tell us a thing is. Thinking tell us what it is this thing is. Feeling tells us what this thing is to us.” - Carl Jung
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: