Emerald Editor Discussion
April 24, 2017, 10:24:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your 3 most favourite features of Crimson Editor?  (Read 15958 times)
mytreo
Miner

« on: May 18, 2006, 06:24:18 pm »

This could be a fun thread, and may also give the EE development team an idea of what it is about CE that people love so much.

To start, my favourite things about CE are (rather predictably!):

1) It's FAST FAST FAST!
2) It's stable (never ever had even one crash, touch wood!)
3) The "Find in Files..." feature.

What are your 3 most favourite features of Crimson Editor?

Chris
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 06:27:14 pm »

find/replace
size
speed

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 06:31:55 pm »

For me, it's the following in no particular order (sorry I have more than 3!!):
1) Its speed
2) Find/Replace using Regular Expressions - including "... in files"
3) Stability (I've had only 2 crashes in the 3 years I've used CE, and both of those were related to using either lots of files at once, or very very large files)
4) The multiple-document tabbed interface

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 06:37:49 pm »

I forgot about tabbed files!  I was performing a user cleanup migration, that I was editing thru CE...
At any one time, I had about 10 files open, and they were being modified by scripts in the background.

I loved how CE asked me that the file had changed, to you want to update the file you are viewing..

I LOVED that.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:39:14 pm »

It is tough to pick just 3 huh! The tabbed interface is excellent, fully agree.
hoeltgman
Miner

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 11:47:05 am »

Tabbed Interface
The speed.
The reversed colour scheme... (Can't live without anymore...)
Nick
Miner

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 02:25:30 pm »

- Speed
 - Open/save to FTP
 - Columns mode (Only ever found 1 other editor that has it in the same way as CE!)

It's the combination of these 3 that made me choose CE above the competition, things like the MDI, regexp search & replace etc go without saying!  :-)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 06:14:24 pm »

Is it me or am I seeing the same things? Speed, the interface, the regular expression support and more seem to be very common.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 06:37:56 pm »

While I would agree that speed is at the top of the list, I would say that it isn't necessary that EE be *as* fast as CE was.  EE has the potential to one day be the editor to end all editors, and many of features that have been requested might cost a little speed and file size.  Some people are more concerned with speed, others with features.  The only way I can possibly think to make "everybody" happy would be to make it extensible like FireFox, where users could add only the features that they want.  This would seem to (over?)complicate matters, though.... plus, where FireFox (being a browser) has millions of users (and hence, hundreds of extension programmers), EE is a text editor and will never have the user (or programmer) base that FireFox does.

My own personal CE favorite features:  1) Syntax highlighting, 2) Split-screen editing, 3) FTP, 4) Project management (even with FTP files!), 5) Bookmarks.

I think CE had imperfections even with each of these.  Funny how CE was so alive for so many years and then died all-of-a-sudden.  It used to be that I would send in a feature request and Ingyu would have it in the next version.  Strange how that went down.  Anyway, my point is that even though CE wasn't perfect, it was great because it was alive.  I appreciate you guys who are replacing it, specifically that you're doing it in a format that can more easily survive.  Thanks again.
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 07:14:06 pm »

It's been a long, long, long time since I first encountered Crimson, so I do not remember my original favourite features, but the reasons I went back to it recently when I needed an html editor on my work system:

1) syntex highlighting
2) fast & small
3) free

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 09:23:17 pm »

The reasons why I chose Crimson Editor:

1) Freeware

2) Efficient and non-invasive.  It accomplished exactly what I needed it to do without too much mucking about.  I hate programs that after installing manage to clutter up your desktop, start menu, systray, harddrive and registry.  Crimson Editor didn't do that.

3) Line numbers.  I was using Notepad for PHP coding and I was tired of counting to find the line with the error.

Reasons (in addition to the above) for sticking with Crimson Editor:

1) Syntax Highlighting... this was cool, I thought you needed a PHP editor to get syntax highlighting for PHP, or a Java editor to get highlighting for Java.

2) Search/Replace.  I particular like how you can replace across multiple documents.  We should include a Search across multiple documents too in EE.  There were some quick-add buttons in CE for inserting tabs, spaces or special characters into the search, it would be nice if this worked as expected in EE.

3) Tabs.  Can you say Close All??  Please?

4) Macros.  I love how you can setup, say, Borland C/C++ so you compile and even run your code from within CE.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 10:35:04 pm »

It's funny that the topic asked us for our "3" favorites but almost nobody can keep it to 3.  I had trouble keeping it to 5!

Long live Crimson!  And her son, Emerald!  Smiley
rolandd
Prospector

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 06:45:43 am »

Crimson for me does it for all the above mentioned reasons but I also like the jumping between brackets and line marking. As a third, the keyboard shortcuts are to me intuitive. Currently I even configured jEdit the way I use the keyboard for CE Smiley
Alexander
Prospector

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 10:15:04 am »

1. Fast and non-intrusive (does not attempt to violently hijack file type associations)
2. Bracket matching blink. VS does not have that. Outrageous!
3. The files/project pane easily docks, floats or adjusts to the right (heh. some other editors don't even allow that, glue it to the left!).

In general, CE appears as an editor which successfully hits the middleground in being functional and yet remaining non-bloated and complex in customising.
ce2000
Miner

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 04:45:34 am »

1) fast
2) highlighted search with f3 without having to hit control-f first
3) it scrolls to where the last line will show up at the very top, most programs wont let u do that, they stop where the text stops

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: