Emerald Editor Discussion
July 25, 2017, 01:32:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CE error - Failed to rename the temporary file used for saving  (Read 9787 times)
fwilkes
Prospector

« on: March 22, 2011, 03:22:41 pm »

Hello,

I am using Crimson editor simply as a program editor. I have the backup turned off. I do my own source control outside of the editor. For some reason, there are times when CE is creating a tmp-previous and tmp-saving version and then it does not allow me to save my file. The error I recieve is...

"Failed to rename the temporary file used for saving so that it has its final, correct name".

How can I keep CE from creating these files and this issue?
fwilkes
Prospector

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:52:09 pm »

Is this simply a forum for user replies? is there anywhere to get support? I've got 3 developers up on this so I need to get this issue resolved.
SilversleevesX
Miner

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »

I've had this happen, too, though I'm just a shell scripter and by no stretch of the imagination a developer.

Sometimes mintty in Cygwin or MinGW and msys leave executables "hanging" in the process list in Process Manager. Whatever NOHUP this terminal emulator sends when a task is finished is somehow not enough to let the odd process "die naturally." A fair workaround, then, would be to check PM and look for familiar process names that you or your crew might have used in a particular session of coding, and when you find any, force quit them. Then click back into CE and see if you can save the file that gave you the error.

The above is simply something I've observed, and my makeshift solution to the problem.

BZT
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:34:03 pm by SilversleevesX » Logged
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:37:22 am »

I think CE is not the only program that does that. I'm using NetBeans for PHP programming and I saw it creating temporary file as well. As far as I understand in Windows you can't write in the middle of the file, you have to recreate the file from the scratch. If file is in use by some other program then you probably will not be able to save it.

PN

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: