Emerald Editor Discussion
July 21, 2017, 09:45:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Suscribe to news/updates  (Read 16003 times)
chali
Prospector

« on: May 15, 2006, 11:50:09 pm »

I think that a great feature for the site would be a suscribe for news option, so people that often forget to check out the site will recieve news for updates and news of the software.

(don't think that i am afraid to miss the first version of EE :p)

Thanks!
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 12:16:23 pm »

It is definitely on the drawing board, but I wanted to wait until we had something to really have news about, other than the pre-alpha build work we're currently doing.

An RSS feed is probably the first thing I'll add in (unless anyone has any better ideas?) and I am contemplating an email newsletter, but I've had issues with running these in the past.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 02:03:25 pm »

Well you know, I dont know about the functionality of the message board, you can always tell people to sign up on the board for updates....

Like phpBB, you can mail all users...

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 02:16:21 pm »

And just to throw this out there...

Do any of you check out http://www.tweakguides.com?  Its a pretty nifty site, I highly recommend it.  At any rate, the owner purposely decided not to do RSS feeds.  I'll quote what he had to say...
A range of factors have made me not really consider it - getting an RSS feed for a plain HTML site not running with a database underlying it is hard I believe. Since I often don't update the front page for days, not having people visit regularly reduces my ad revenue for starters. I know that sounds greedy, but really if I'm going to take the time to implement a feature which brings me even less regular traffic and less revenue, I'd then have to make certain portions of the site pay-to-use (which I don't want to do). That's probably the biggest reason, to be quite honest with you.

Websites live or die by regular traffic. This increases their placing in Google search rankings, brings revenue, and brings attention from other sites. RSS is great for sites which update on a daily basis (if not more often), because it actually increases their traffic. For sites which update less often, or in more obscure ways (i.e. not just a front page news update), then RSS will reduce traffic.
I hadn't thought about it like that.
benjam
Prospector

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 08:52:22 pm »

I think an email sent to registered users of the board would be sufficient.

That is one of the reasons I registered.

So please, keep us posted.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 09:54:01 pm »

I'll try and keep people posted all the time there is news to tell people. Right now we're getting stuff settled down and making sense of it all.

Right now there are reasons why I wouldn't be able to email all registered members, at least not in any practical way, but it is something I'm getting sorted out.

As time goes on, the front page of the site will get the news added (it's actually internally linked to the Front Page News threads) and hopefully once we get to 1.0 and beyond it should be sufficient to not particularly need registration.

The one thing I noted is that CE's website didn't have an "Email me with an update" feature, but still drew the visitors in.

Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 04:18:52 pm »

You know, you can assign this job out to a NEWS Manager to write and publish stories that you simply approve.

For instance.
Lets say me (for lack of better person at the moment)
is assigned the News Manager position.

I keep the public up to date on EE news.  (new releases, new this, change in that...etc)

I write the article, and forward it to Arantor (or the current Project Manager)
They approve/edit/change/shoot down the new item back to the News Manager.

Then its forwrded out as needed.

Thus the Project Manager really needs to only proofread the doc..

Just a thought.

awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 05:56:26 pm »

Better yet, Public Relations Manager.  Then you can include "press releases" and other notifications...

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 06:12:41 pm »

Better yet, Public Relations Manager.  Then you can include "press releases" and other notifications...

Sounds great to me...

raezel
Prospector

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 10:46:55 am »

Theres one thing I'd like to say about keeping people updated. To me, the most logical solution would be to gather every major changes and updates under one category on the forum (ie News), so you don't have to wander throught all categories to find updates about the project. Under the News category threads would be always locked, and the thread would have a link to another thread, under the category where it belongs, where people can discuss it, and if there is a need to add/remove/edit something in the News thread, the Subject would have Updated xx.xx.xxxx added in it, and the new information would have a similar line after it. That way people would not have to scroll throught whole conversations to see if the posted information has changed (ie, the Roadmap thread).

Finally a sample. Let's say that you would make a ToDo-list.

Under News category:
Subject: ToDo-list

1. Feature X
2. Feature Y
etc..

Conversation about the list <add link here>

Then in the conversation thread somebody would say "You forgot to add Feature Foo"

And the result would be

Subject: ToDo-list Updated 22.6.2006

1. Feature X
2. Feature Y
3. Feature Foo (Added 22.6.2006)
etc..

I hope I made some sense with this,,

Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 04:33:54 pm »

... gather every major changes and updates under one category on the forum (ie News), so you don't have to wander throught all categories to find updates about the project....

News and forums are really two separate issues.  If someone wants to look in once a month and see what's going on they can look at the "New" page.  If they want to participate in the project and stay on top of the forum discussions, they can click "Show unread posts since last visit".  I do this at *least* every day.

Also, I think the website and forums are in GREAT shape now.  I think there is major design work going on now, and hopefully there will be major development work soon.  I wouldn't want anyone's attention shifted from those things to website development.
raezel
Prospector

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 06:29:51 pm »

News and forums are really two separate issues.  If someone wants to look in once a month and see what's going on they can look at the "New" page.  If they want to participate in the project and stay on top of the forum discussions, they can click "Show unread posts since last visit".  I do this at *least* every day.

Right now the forum seems to be the main channel for letting people know about the project, so my suggestion would (in my opinion) make it much easier for people to keep up in the project. Of course, "every day" development issues and such would not be included in the "news", but things like the roadmap, and the change of the license, should be made more clear to people.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 08:38:19 pm »

You're exactly right, and I think that's exactly what the "New" page is intended for in the future.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 09:07:07 pm »

I would suggest everyone SUBSCRIBING to the FRONT PAGE NEWS forum.

This is done by:
Entering the Front Page News forum
then hitting the NOTIFY option under the current threads
Then click YES, you wish to enable Notification

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 09:35:27 pm »

Unfortunately, being a bad bad admin, I still haven't set up an outbound MTA on the server, so mail won't get routed around outside the server itself (69.56.173.191).

I'm just trying to configure this server to route outbound mail at the moment. (I'm finally getting round to it  Embarrassed)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: