Emerald Editor Discussion
March 29, 2017, 05:57:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crimson Editor SVN263 and Windows 7  (Read 50099 times)
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 11:14:02 am »

There is a 3.70 which was the last official release before we took over. Try using it and see if the problems are there as well.
sgj
Prospector

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 08:20:14 pm »

Crimson Editor 3.70 works perfectly under Windows 7 and Windows Vista, without any UAC dialogs.

The solution to this problem should be of highest priority. For example, I was already looking for an alternative editor (Notepad++ ?) before finding this "downgrade" proposal.

By the way, the exe in Reply #13 did not solved the problem in my Windows 7.
jszpilewski
Prospector

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 02:02:06 pm »

When investigating the issue of UAC I found the following discussion:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssecurity/thread/6d870287-e364-4151-851d-70605c0e6a6d/

Following that I changed:
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
to:
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">

in Manifest.xml

Also I cleaned "Additional Manifest Files" in the project settings.

Below is a build that runs without trigerring UAC on Vista 32-bit where it was compiled with VS 2008 and Win 7 64-bit. Maybe it could be also tested on other computers.

* cedt.zip (522.3 KB - downloaded 852 times.)
Gryffyn
Prospector

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 03:13:11 pm »

Thanks for posting that.  Works on Windows 7 64 bit without triggering UAC (and allows drag and drop).  The only issue is that it pops up with "unknown publisher" and asks if it's ok to run that app.  Better than triggering UAC, but sounds like something easy to fix.   I don't think my compile had the "unknown publisher" issue.

But as I said, I'm a noob when it comes to compiler stuff.  Most of my programming has been PHP with some VBA thrown in.  Nothing I've had to mess with VS for.
jszpilewski
Prospector

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 04:28:00 pm »

Unknown publisher is reported when the executable is not signed. It is quite typical for non-commercial files as the signing process requires getting an official certificate. I think the files compiled locally are exempted from such a checking. Anyway on my computer (Vista and Win 7) Only some files are reported as unknown and there is a tick to disable such an alarm in the future. Eventually you may check how your system reacts to another not signed program like notepad++ for instance.
Gryffyn
Prospector

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 05:09:39 pm »

I just unchecked the box that said "tell me every time".  I tend not to turn off errors just so there's a reminder of something to possibly fix or follow up on, but since this only affects that one executable and it's a system-wide "don't tell me", I just turned it off.
sushovande
Prospector

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 06:32:54 am »

Below is a build that runs without trigerring UAC on Vista 32-bit where it was compiled with VS 2008 and Win 7 64-bit. Maybe it could be also tested on other computers.

Thank you, Thank you for the build. A hundred thousand internet brownie points to you.
xiangxiadage
Prospector

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 03:15:00 pm »

When investigating the issue of UAC I found the following discussion:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssecurity/thread/6d870287-e364-4151-851d-70605c0e6a6d/

Following that I changed:
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
to:
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">

in Manifest.xml

Also I cleaned "Additional Manifest Files" in the project settings.

It still has UAC issue on my PC. Thank you anyway!
There is a 3.70 which was the last official release before we took over. Try using it and see if the problems are there as well.
It works! Thank you very much!
crimson
Prospector

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 05:08:29 pm »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

I have been using Windows 7 for a month now, and of course one of the first things I installed was Crimson Editor, which I use every day.   I was on SVN286, not SVN263, but it has all of the same issues.  The UAC alerts are a nuisance, but if you can't double click on a file to open it or drag and drop it onto the editor window to open it, usability goes way down.  I was seriously thinking I would have to move to another editor.  Now I know I can just downgrade.  I installed 3.60 (before I hit the next page and saw that I could have used 3.70).  Problem solved!
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 09:19:22 pm »

It's on my todo list. Just sadly (or not sadly depending on your point of view) I am very busy in work atm and have had no time to do anything with CE.
blanne
Prospector

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 01:17:50 am »

Thanks! Working on my Win7 x64.

This is becoming something of a showstopper... I tend to wait quite long before switching to the latest Windows version, so when the issue still persists when I finally caved in and installed Win7, it must affect most other users running on a default install as administrators Smiley

Yes, of course the unsigned-ness causes a prompt that can be dismissed permanently.
frankforte
Prospector

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 05:47:13 pm »

I had an issue clicking "edit" in Filezilla and being denied...  running Filezilla as admin fixed my problem.

The file type associations in Filezilla allow me to directly open files in Emerald which is much more convenient... of course now I need to remember to open Filezilla as admin each time.

Looking forward to an official release that does not require UAC prompt.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: