Emerald Editor Discussion
August 18, 2017, 05:14:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RTF Editor ? Or if not CE ..what do you recommend?  (Read 7601 times)
RedTideAtNight
Miner

« on: June 06, 2009, 08:20:55 am »

Can CE ever do RTF (rich text font) ?   I'm ignorant about most of the history of wordprocessiing
software and the types of documents.  But I think from just using RTF more this past 2 years
that is a useful and, perhaps, stable if not growing method to save text.  Is that true?

Well I'm looking for a way to ask about an RTF editor that will open several pages, up to 10 , at once. 

I like CE a lot and use it but without doing RTF it's a software waiting for an update IMHO.  I always
recommend it and always will with the Macro and calculator functins being super.

Is anyone able to reccomend an RTF editor that will open many pages at once?  It does not have to
be extensive beyond that ability.   

I'd rather have a smaller , faster, and simpler RTF editor than a 'do everything' software. 

Thank you. 
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 10:50:44 pm »

CE is designed to be a good plain text editor. Since it is designed for editing source files for programmers, it does not insert stuff into a file except the text you edit. For this reason, it does not support any rich text formatting. Supporting formatting would require storing the formatting information in the file or in another file somewhere. Storing the information in the file would prevent it from being used by whatever other programs are designed to use it (such as a compiler or a web browser).

As for RTF editors which open multiple documents at once, the only one I know of is PageFour (http://www.softwareforwriting.com/pagefour.html), but it is not free.
RedTideAtNight
Miner

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:03:02 am »

Even if I only got the suggestion from you on the RTF editor, Phil, it was worth it.  I've not heard
of it before and will check into it.

Most RTF editors aren't what i like.  It might sound odd.
I really enjoy Wordpad and any software where I can use the common keyboard
commands to run the entire program.

I post my comments on how Page Four looks to me.

Thanks again.

PS.  Phil if you , or anyone, knows of forums where RTF editors are discussed I'd appreciate a heads up.

I'm putting together lots of documentation of how to find some of the more obscure forums online
and then posting those findings on 'computer' related forums. 

I'm a bit confused about where RTF editors fall with respect to which facet of computing
they're used.  Anyone know?  Or is it an old stadard about to die out?
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:01:59 pm »

There is a link to an RTF e-mail list on http://interglacial.com/rtf/. It doesn't seem to be particularly active though.

I don't suspect that RTF will die out anytime soon. Unlike propriety document formats such as MS Word's .doc format or large, complicated yet open formats such as the .docx format, RTF is open and relatively easy to understand. What this means is that most programmers that are working on new document editors will want to support RTF since it is so well-supported by all the other document editors out there and since it is not hard to support it. I might be completely wrong here; this is just my impression of the situation.

In short, RTF is a good format for interoperability.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: