Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 04:04:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Syntax format  (Read 39116 times)
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2006, 03:18:17 am »

Here's what I suggest.

Build basic syntax files with XML.  Then someone who wants to do something more advanced can write a plugin to make use of a more advanced syntax file.

While the default syntax files won't take advantage of it, include some code into EE so that if a function_parameters XML tag is defined for a function, when the user mouseover's the function the list of parameters is displayed.  Similarly, if a function_description XML tag is defined the description of the function is displayed.  The display could be a tool-tip popup or something else.

Anything significantly more complex and I say leave it for a plugin.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2006, 12:51:04 pm »

Sounds good.

It would also mean we could, if we wanted to, provide say a basic PHP4 syntax, which just had the terms and specifications in it, and then a PHP4-complete syntax which covered everything available to PHP4, for the tooltips, etc.

(Internally we could just store the master complete one and make the reduced version out of it by running it through a form of XML parser to remove the tags we wouldn't want)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 09:53:36 pm »

OK, I'm going to go back to the PHP4 plugin base I wrote, and have a poke around and see if I can't define the format nicely.

I'll post back with the amended format later on.

Mark
Prospector

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2006, 09:31:27 am »

Examples of syntax EE_php.xml shows lots of "dead load" in the file.
It will decrease level of its functionality despite its potential.
Composing syntax files will be time consiuming and will slow down EE (weight).

Functionality of CE syntax files ware (reasonably) subordinated to the simplicity.
Obviously some features are not enough suported other eager awaited in CE syntax.
Anaysis of its adv. & disadv. should help to pinpoint needs and give clue for changes.
We've chance for compromise: improvement of CE syntax functionality with its simplicity preservation.

Language writen for other purposes (php, xml) will put it out of the balace.
Anyway syntax translator CE=>EE would be helpful.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2006, 06:01:47 pm »

This has been a hugely debated topic, and is why I've been so slow in posting an amended syntax.

Using a custom format has advantages: it can be processed quicker (probably), it can be kept minimal and small, and lightweight like CE was.

Using a general format like XML has advantages too: the code has already been written to parse XML (wxWidgets, which we're using as a major component of EE, has the expat XML parser included), and other editors can edit it cleanly, and indeed there are many dedicated XML editors out there.

I've had a long thing about this and maybe extending/rewriting the existing syntax would be preferable, but then it means writing a parser is more of an issue than using an existing one.

In fact, I'm still sufficiently unsure I'm going to throw it open to a vote.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: