Emerald Editor Discussion
July 25, 2017, 01:46:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: User groups on the forum  (Read 31653 times)
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 08:02:51 pm »

So, what does one have to do to get an official designation beyond "Member"? 

At this point, I'm planning on following and testing daemon's Mac build instructions, as well as working on Solaris builds - at least as far as making sure the software builds and runs. 

It'll likely be fall before I can actually commit as a full-blown developer unless circumstances change in a favorable manor for me....

EDIT: I mean, as in adding "Beta Tester"/"Developer"/"All-Around-Kewl-Person" type of thing...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:25:17 pm by awmyhr » Logged

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 08:29:35 pm »

Or they could be fun/cutesy ala JavaRanch and we could have:
Jewelers, gem cutters, miners, etc.

I'm not mentally competent to take on a creative endevour at the moment, but I did come up with this.  I think it's fun w/o being intrusive...

Prospector- 0 posts
Miner- 10 posts
Senior Miner- 50 posts
Gem Cutter - 100 posts
Jeweler - 225 posts
Master Jeweler - 400 posts
High Emerald Master - 750 posts
Grand High Emerald Master - 1200 posts

dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 10:07:01 pm »

So, what does one have to do to get an official designation beyond "Member"? 

If it comes down to it Pete, and you start needing $$ to keep things running, you could always add additional desinations for people that contribute money as opposed to time. Could even have a certain amount at which they get to pick there own (subject to approval of course).

$10 = day trader
$20 = investor
$50 = venture capitalist
$100 = pick your own

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 10:45:57 pm »

Well, I do like the new list - prospector, miner etc. I can add that in very quickly. In fact I think I might do just that shortly Smiley

dsvick, that's a nice idea, actually, when EE gets bigger and may require funding/other support in order to continue to survive. It's certainly worth bearing in mind.

EDIT: In answer to your question, awmyhr, to get any official designation, I make the changes to the forum. It isn't really an official thing yet, it's more a case of getting the framework set up so we can use it effectively later.

Another EDIT: How about replacing the stars with Emeralds? I know I might be a little gem-crazy but I really like the little gems and think they add something to it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 10:55:43 pm by Arantor » Logged

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 01:23:28 pm »

Another EDIT: How about replacing the stars with Emeralds? I know I might be a little gem-crazy but I really like the little gems and think they add something to it.

I say, if you're going to theme it, you may as well go all the way, as long as it's not obtrusive, in-your-face kind of stuff.  The "little things" like replacing stars/bullets w/emeralds, the gem-themed user catagories and so forth add to the atmosphere w/o detracting from the matters at hand, IMHO...

Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 01:39:31 pm »

Sounds great!  Dress it up!  Personally, I've been thinking about getting a "grill" with emeralds across the front.   Grin

Perhaps this is off-topic, but I assume the shades of blue here in the forums will eventually be replaced with shades of green?
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 05:15:06 pm »

I had always intended to "pimp" it up properly, including the blues becoming greens.

The stars -> gems is easy enough to do, I just have to get round to making them slightly smaller, and gifs (IE does not like the transparent PNGs I was using)

Having completed my mission of website to SVN, I can divert a little time to this now.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 06:32:21 pm »

Well, it's a bit more, but I get the feeling it might be a little loud.

Thoughts, anyone?

Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 08:25:28 pm »

MY EYES!  MY EYES!     Shocked

I love the pale shade that matches the lower part of the top banner, but I need sunglasses for the the brighter one.
awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 08:33:23 pm »

I'm not seeing a noticeable difference...

Nick
Miner

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 09:55:10 pm »

I'd had a look at creating an Emerald theme for SMF, seems a bit more complicated than just a few pages of html...

I kinda like the idea of having a customized theme (ie: so that it doesn't look like the deafult theme with a bunch of changes to colours etc, no offense Pete!) so I've knocked up a flat html sketch here...

Is it worth pursuing?
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 11:01:42 pm »

It looks very good, though the "News" and "Features" level headers might still be a little too dark.  It kinda seems like they should be the same color as the lower part of the banner.
awmyhr
Senior Miner

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 11:13:45 pm »

It certainly is much better then the default theme.  I say, if you've got the time and will to donate, go for it, it'll be well worth it.  Once the bulk of the work is done, then getting just the right shade of green should be childs play...

Emerald Fox
Global Moderator
Miner

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 09:38:01 am »

I really like the new colour scheme... maybe one of the greens (like the one on the "Emerald Editor Discussion" bar) are a little bright for my eyes.  Cool

...what about nailing those pesky blue tabs on "Home | Help | Search..." and "Reply | Notify | Mark unread..."?  Wink

No signature currently stored in profile.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 08:42:01 pm »

Since my last post I've altered the brighter green to a more toned down shade. Hopefully that's a little better.

Nick, although yes, it is a little more complex than it should be, the theme admin panel lets you change things like that - it allows you to modify the template itself, which is a weird PHP/HTML hybrid, and the CSS file itself, and it lets you preview it as you alter it, which means you can edit a bit, view it, edit a bit more etc.

I have to admit I do feel that the SMF-ised forum isn't quite in line with EE's style, so I won't just be editing SMF's style to match colours, I am slowly altering it a bit at a time, but it is such a complex (though quite quick once you have the hang of it) task, I don't want to apply many changes at once.

You may start seeing changes very shortly as I bring the tabs section in line (and saving bandwidth!) with the EE style.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: