Emerald Editor Discussion
May 28, 2017, 01:21:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undelimited Fixed Field Width Files  (Read 4606 times)
rowan.bradley
Prospector

« on: February 18, 2009, 07:23:36 pm »

I have a type of file to edit that's made up of records 175 bytes long. Each record is made up of fixed width fields, some text, some numeric. There are no CR, LF or other control characters in the file at all. I'd like to be able to display this file wrapped to 175 chaqracter width (not word wrapped, just wrapped at exactly every multiple of 175 bytes). Even nicer would be able to put in field markers to show the field boundaries.

Is there a way of doing this with Crimson? If not, how difficult would it be to add?

Thanks - Rowan
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 02:09:13 am »

Hello,
It looks like the fixed wrap could be configured up to 160 characters. I don't know if there is any reasoning behind this number. Attached is the binary of CE 3.72 where I have bumped it up to 200. If you go to preferences dialog and set "Word wrap indentation" to 0 and "Use fixed wrap width" to 175 and turn on word wrap (Alt+Shift+W) this should fix your issue. Just go to your Crimson Editor installation directory, rename old cedt.exe to something like cedt_old.exe and put attached exe file as cedt.exe.
Please let me know if it works and if nothing is broken.
Thanks,
PN.

* cedt.exe (1316 KB - downloaded 326 times.)

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:59:37 am »

Alternatively, you could use a macro to actually insert line breaks. Go to column 175, start recording, press enter, press left arrow, press down arrow, stop recording. Then click the play macro button repeatedly to break one line at a time.

Also on Preferences->General->Visual, you can choose 2 column markers. Unfortunately for you, it is not possible to have more than 2 of them.

Phil
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: