Emerald Editor Discussion
July 24, 2017, 03:47:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Core syntaxes  (Read 38277 times)
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 06:37:12 pm »

The choice between versions sounds great--a step beyond Crimson.  Sometimes in Crimson I would see a guy down the hall with sometimes-better highlighting than I have, but I was reluctant to replace my syntax file with his.  This feature would allow me to include both mine *and* his.

There could be a small "language list" form listing the language names in a left pane and showing available versions (of the selected language name) in a right pane.  Most languages might only have one version listed in the right pane, but there could also be buttons on the far right for:

- "Version Syntax"  - which would open the larger page where the keywords can be pasted in
 - "Clone to New Version" - would simply duplicate the selected version and open its "Version Syntax" form for changes
 - "Make Default Version" - would bold the selected version name and (of course) set it as the default version for that language and

That's just off the top of my head.  There may be much better ways of doing the same thing.  You'd also need a way to determine the order of the language version releases to make them sort in the right order on the "language list" form.  I don't know if you can depend on version numbers because the versioning systems change now and then (i.e., ColdFusion went from version 6 [i think] to ColdFusion "MX").  Maybe just a couple more buttons for moving the versions up and down to put them in order?

Man, my mouth's-a-waterin' for that first release !  Oh, and if it could make a cowbell sound when the program opens, that would be AWESOME !  "Guys, I'm tellin' ya... you're gonna want that cowbell!"  Smiley
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 06:43:33 pm »

Quote from: Matthew1344
I don't know if you can depend on version numbers because the versioning systems change now and then (i.e., ColdFusion went from version 6 [i think] to ColdFusion "MX").  Maybe just a couple more buttons for moving the versions up and down to put them in order?

Man, my mouth's-a-waterin' for that first release !  Oh, and if it could make a cowbell sound when the program opens, that would be AWESOME !  "Guys, I'm tellin' ya... you're gonna want that cowbell!"  Smiley
As far as official version, I think we can simply release new syntax files when software upgrades.
I am guessing on this one.
As for your example....
ColdFusion 6 - Syntax file Cold_Fusion_v6
ColdFusion MX - Syntax file Cold_Fusion_v7

Just a thought...I mean treat each application language as a different file
I would imagine, we will have the people to be able to support this over time if we have the program taking off.
That would mean we would have to have someone full time working at getting new syntax files created (not him directly but the Project Manager for getting new ones created from volunteers)

I am excited too Matthew

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 06:48:55 pm »

Oh... didn't see Zhrakkan's post before mine.

Treating two different versions of a language as different languages might work, since it's pretty easy to choose a different language from the Syntax menu.... hmm.... You'd have to be able to add (not overwrite) syntaxes that are--by default--named the same thing.  In other words, we'd want to make sure this kind of thing didn't happen:

1) User downloads EE and begins using the original HTML syntax
2) User adds keywords or otherwise changes that HTML syntax
3) User2 posts a new version of HTML syntax (or even the old one again)
4) User's customized HTML syntax is overwritten by User2's newer version

Perhaps when he tries to add the new version it would prompt to overwrite the existing HTML or create "MY NEW HTML" as a new language.  But... then which of the two would be used when you opened an html file?

Sorry... I'm mostly questions, not answers.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 06:52:25 pm »

Quote from: Matthew1344
Sorry... I'm mostly questions, not answers.
Questions are good...trust me, I know.

I would propose, we try to put a group together once we have a product, that is there to try to TEST syntax files a little. They can also, try to UPDATE syntaxes if there are problems...

I figure we have 1 version of 1 type....so HTML 3.2 we would have 1 single version
But we can UPDATE that version if we need to after that, so we have a path forward to IMPROVE existing syntax files...

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 08:21:44 pm »

As a project we would co-ordinate having one standard syntax file, e.g. HTML 3.2 (rather than different implementations of the same thing)

The best example for this would probably be PHP. I do not believe we should provide PHP 5.0.0, PHP 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.1.0, 5.1.1 and so on builds.

Building a PHP 4.0, PHP 4.1 might be acceptable, but I think keeping it to PHP 4, PHP 5 would probably be the best answer to it all.

I don't know about a team to build syntax files, I imagine people that use the different syntaxes would write their own and contribute, then the beta testers can try them out and the ones that are working and functionally complete can be posted (I'm trying to quality-check material before posting)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 08:37:17 pm »

Quote from: Arantor
As a project we would co-ordinate having one standard syntax file, e.g. HTML 3.2 (rather than different implementations of the same thing)

The best example for this would probably be PHP. I do not believe we should provide PHP 5.0.0, PHP 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.1.0, 5.1.1 and so on builds.

Building a PHP 4.0, PHP 4.1 might be acceptable, but I think keeping it to PHP 4, PHP 5 would probably be the best answer to it all.

I don't know about a team to build syntax files, I imagine people that use the different syntaxes would write their own and contribute, then the beta testers can try them out and the ones that are working and functionally complete can be posted (I'm trying to quality-check material before posting)
I understand Arantor...Obviously we dont want a new Syntax file for every version...but I think the significant versions might get a new one when the syntax actually changes...

I figure a group might be needed to start on the Primary Syntaxes, but then one individual just helps out people writing there own to get them submitted on the site for download.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 08:40:29 pm »

Well, I'm quite happy to write the syntax files - once I know what format we're working with. I can write most if not all of the core syntaxes, and I'm sure I can salvage some of the CE material to help.

Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 08:42:45 pm »

Quote from: Arantor
Well, I'm quite happy to write the syntax files - once I know what format we're working with. I can write most if not all of the core syntaxes, and I'm sure I can salvage some of the CE material to help.
Well then, you are our "Syntax Group" !

MUAHAHAHA

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 08:47:01 pm »

Not to mention website administrator and server admin!

Seriously, though, I use PHP, HTML, SQL and similar very regularly, and I also use things like the Apache configuration file (I configure the server via SSH)

ce2000
Miner

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 04:58:49 am »

Add JavaScript to the primary list

Add SVG to the secondary

col
Prospector

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 03:10:58 pm »

What about asp.net
Wraithan
Prospector

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 09:56:04 pm »

I am against writing the syntax files by hand, there should be a utility to convert them from CE to EE, Perl handles complex text parsing projects really well, so this maybe one choice. Once you guys have in concrete what you want for the syntax files, I will hammer out a Perl script that converts.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2006, 11:10:37 pm »

Thanks for your support!

Converting ones from CE's syntax did seem to be a good idea, and I was planning to hammer out something as well to do it, but we do need to get the format in concrete. I think the dust may have settled over its debate a little, so maybe it's worth having a re-read.

The only concern I have is that, with the exception of the simplest syntaxes, most of the syntaxes will benefit from the EE-enhanced format, some of which will have to be entered by hand. But certainly a Perl script, or something similar, should be able to streamline the process.

Dave
Prospector

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 08:39:09 pm »

I would like to see Delphi in the Primary list

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 09:52:35 pm »

OK, I think we have a fairly definitive list now of syntaxes, both core and secondary ones. Before I post a semi-finalised "These are the primary ones we'll do first" and "These are the secondary ones" list, we need to ratify finally the format.

Once that's done, we can start implementing the syntax files (at this stage I am well aware we do not have a parser of any kind for them, but that way as soon as it is implemented, we immediately have test data to play with - much easier than trying to build a parser and the parser data concurrently - been there, done that and it wasn't pretty.)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: