Emerald Editor Discussion
June 26, 2017, 01:01:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Core syntaxes  (Read 37775 times)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 08:06:05 pm »

Personally....Would using XML actually give us anything special, or additional than using a custom defined Syntax?

I mean, if having our Syntax in XML will actually benefit us for one reason or another, why not use XML as our Syntax standard...

My biggest concern, is if we use XML, the syntax parser or what not (remember I am not a programmer) adds a little lag to the program load.  If it doesnt, I say why not.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 08:55:42 pm »

For what it's worth, your explanations make sense to me.  If there's no existing standard and if the XML syntax files used by other editors are not sophisticated enough for EE to use as a standard, why not create a new XML-based format?  Perhaps that format will end up being the new standard in the future?

I would agree that keeping all of the syntax files outside of the editor seems like a good idea.  An example of why would be that I often use Oracle's ProC, which is a variant of C with PL/SQL blocks.  I don't know if there will immediately be a ProC syntax file, so I would use the SQL and C syntax files to create the new ProC one.  If either of the syntax files are hidden inside the executable I couldn't do that.  (Isn't that right?)

This begs another question... would it be feasible to support one language embedded in another (JavaScript or VBScript inside PHP, ASP, or ColdFusion--or in my case, PL/SQL inside C)?  FirstPage used to do this by shading or highlighting the background of the embedded block and then using the embedded language's syntax inside the block.  I know this might be a lot to ask for in the first version, but it might be something to keep in mind.  I know it would be helpful to me if I didn't have to switch back and forth between two different syntaxes.

Thanks in advance to all of you for your work on this editor.  Crimson want's to live... even if it has to get a little greener to do it.  :-)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 08:32:43 pm »

Here is a list of Syntax Files that I have put together.
Primary ones are ones we must support
Secondary ones I have pulled off websites (ones that would be great to be able to support)
Please, feel free to point out syntax files not included, and those that we think should be Pirmary syntax files.

Primary Syntax Files
HTML
C/C++
Perl
Java
ASP
PHP
JSP
CSS
SQL
MySQL
Cisco config files
COBOL
Visual Basic 6.0
Windows INI & BATCH files
C#
KixTart
VBScript
Python
TCL
JScript

Secondary Syntax Files
Maxima CAS
TeraTerm Macro (thanks to : Trevor O'Grady)
IDL (Interactive Data Language by RSI)
Dynamic C
dsPIC Assembly
Virtools Script
Text Adventure Development System (TADS)
Aeroflex RadHard 69R000 Assembly
Allegro/APD SKILL
Octave Language
TEA Language
Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1)
Windows Resource Script
MIDL (Microsoft Interface Definition Language)
MS T/SQL
Objective-C
DirectX FX, DirectX Mesh
TLC (Target Language Compiler)
CHILL (CCITT High Level Language)
TMS320C6X-ASM
VRML
POV-RAY
POD (Plain Old Documentation)
ADMB (AD Model Builder)
Maple
MATRIXx - MathScript, TPL
Citect Cicode
RTPI (Real Time Production Intelligence software from ABB)
AutoLISP
Escapade
VXML
AMADA Punch
D Language
SilkPerformer
FlexPDE
Ch Language
Unreal Script
MV-BASIC
PostScript
Inform
Lingo
InstallShield
Informix-4gl
Progress-4gl
xsl + xpath
DTML
MEL(Maya Embeded Language)
Teradata SQL
APIC GIS
PIC Assembly
XML Schema
JAL(Just Another Language)
Apache Configuration
RWX Language
SIOD Language
WinRunner / TSL
MetaPost
MDX Language
PSL(Patrol Scripting Language)
8051 Assembler
68000 Assembler
PDMS PML
CSL(C Scripting Language)
X86 Assembly
FiveWin
Altera TDF
Matlab
LaTeX
Ruby
METAFONT
MatrixX
Microsoft High Level Shader
OpenGL ARB vertex program
Modula-2
Hypertext Preprocessor (HTP)
Reliable Transaction Engine (RTE)
R/SPLUS, SAS, SPSS & STATA
Limbo
awk
ActionScript MX
jBASE/PICK
HTML Tidy config files
RapidQ Basic
Renderman shaders
REBOL
mIRC
Small
MicroStation MDL
Philips HDL
AMPL
FASM
XSL/XSLT
ZMAC (Z80 Assembler)
OpenROAD
Gui4Cli
FORTRAN 90/95
Visual DataFlex
AutoIt, Pawl, DOS Batch
WML
Tivoli TEC
OSDD (ME10) Macro Language
Lua
XUL
LotusScript
Mitsubishi MCUs
Haskell
Eiffel
nVidia Cg (C for Graphics)
ZZT
ABAP/4
ANSYS APDL
CLIPPER
ColdFusion
DMIS
DOORS DXL
FORM
FORTRAN 77
Korn Shell Script
LC2 Assembly Language
LISP
Maki Script
MAX Script
NASM Assembly
NullSoft NSIS Script
Pure Basic
Object Rexx
Scilab
HLA
Winbatch
OCaml
GNU-style x86 Assembly
PeopleSoft SQR
Ada 83
MIPS
BAAN
Delphi
Euphoria
Bash shell script
EDIF
VHDL
Verilog-HDL

Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 09:16:34 pm »

Please add PL/SQL and ProC to the "Secondary" list...

And would it be right *not* to include this one?:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~norm/emerald.html

:-)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 09:27:03 pm »

HAH...nice...

daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 02:11:27 am »

That's a good list. However, I'd promote Ruby to a primary and probably Objective-C (it's not that hard to write, but I'm slightly biased as a OSX Cocoa developer). Also, I'd add the D programming language to one of the lists (doesn't matter which, to me, though).
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 11:48:59 am »

Honestly, the list I put up there, is the one from CE, I just put ones I myself was really familiar with (just in knowing they actually exist) to primary.  Basically those I though, would be priomary from my viewpoint.  WHich we all know, is far from the endall be all...hehe

Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 02:21:30 pm »

Ooo.. you know what else we should add?

Turing - There are a number of highschools using this
Prolog - A nifty programming language.  Its a declarative or logic programming language (as opposed to object-oriented and parameter)
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 02:55:53 pm »

As far as the "Secondaries" go, I wouldn't worry too much about them.  If the editor is good, the "Primaries" are there, and adding syntax files is easy enough for users (perhaps even facilitated by a form?), the users will begin submitting the Secondary syntaxes--probably better versions of it than someone who doesn't use the language.

Here's a question... what do you think about including the ability to use multiple versions of the same syntax?
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 03:13:23 pm »

Quote from: Matthew1344
As far as the "Secondaries" go, I wouldn't worry too much about them.  If the editor is good, the "Primaries" are there, and adding syntax files is easy enough for users (perhaps even facilitated by a form?), the users will begin submitting the Secondary syntaxes--probably better versions of it than someone who doesn't use the language.

Here's a question... what do you think about including the ability to use multiple versions of the same syntax?
I agree.
I think we, the project team, should facilitate what we believe to be Primary Syntaxes that we should build.

As for the Secondaries, I agree again.  We can organize a way via the website to download a template and/or upload finished syntaxes.

I am not sure what you mean by multiple versions of the same syntax...can you clarify?

Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 03:36:57 pm »

Quote from: Zhrakkan
I am not sure what you mean by multiple versions of the same syntax...can you clarify?
Sure.  For instance, if I'm working on a VBScript for an environment that only supports version 3.2, can I change my EE VBScript syntax version to 3.2 instead of my normal 5.6?

I may be asking for ridiculously too much here, but I'm sure it would be easier to plan the structure of the syntax files for this kind of thing now rather than later (even if the UI doesn't yet provide access to it).
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 04:18:06 pm »

The ini file should probably contain:

language title
language version
syntax author
syntax version or last modified date (probably one or the other)

Then the display for selecting syntax files would be able to distinguish between version 1.0 of VBScript 5.6 by Feldon, version 1.4a of VBScript 5.6 by Feldon, version 1.0 of VBScript 5.6 by Matthew1344, version 1.0 of VBScript 3.2 by Matthew1344, etc...

I would imagine it wouldn't bother displaying the author/syntax version unless there was more than one syntax with the same language title and language version.  I would also imagine that if you saved a document that looks like VBScript, that it would automatically select the VBScript syntax with the highest version number.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 05:04:24 pm »

Quote from: Matthew1344
Quote from: Zhrakkan
Sure.  For instance, if I'm working on a VBScript for an environment that only supports version 3.2, can I change my EE VBScript syntax version to 3.2 instead of my normal 5.6?

I may be asking for ridiculously too much here, but I'm sure it would be easier to plan the structure of the syntax files for this kind of thing now rather than later (even if the UI doesn't yet provide access to it).
Sure I dont think that would be a problem.

Our Syntax Download page should have the following:
VBScript - version of VBScript - version of Syntax file - file creater

This way, a user who comes here, can see all the versions of VBScript, and decide which version (of course there may not be any other versions)

Personally, different versions to me, are handled just like different language syntax file.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 05:51:57 pm »

Well, this had crossed my mind already, e.g. HTML 3.2 vs. HTML 4.0 (from my own personal experience), or VB6 vs. VB.NET.

How about a form which pops up which says:
Code:
There are several versions of VBScript available.
Are you using:

VBScript 3.2
VBScript 5.6
The different ones would be in a dropdown, of course, but that's probably the nicest way for the user to select what they want. It could then be used in future as the default.

As for downloads, it would probably be easiest to treat each syntax file as a unique entity.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 06:06:18 pm »

I think to avoid excessive impact to creating language syntax files, I simply say, treat them all as different entities.

I know of a great Download manager database that I have used in the past to handle this...Arantor, I can get with you about that later...(has a great admin console and the ability to separate files, make sub-categories and counts how many times they have been downloaded)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: