Emerald Editor Discussion
May 27, 2017, 04:39:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Make "file changed" indicators easier to differentiate  (Read 16388 times)
mark366
Prospector

« on: December 09, 2008, 03:24:10 pm »

I have a request regarding the "file changed" indicator -- the small circle on each tab that indicates if the tab's contents has been modified.  In Crimson Editor, the indicator was bright green if the file had not been modified, and bright red if it had been modified.  For people such as myself who are slightly colorblind, the two colors were easy to distinguish.  In Emerald Editor, as nearly as I can tell, the "modified" color is now is now dark red, and the "unmodified" color is dark blue.  It's impossible for me to tell them apart at a glance.  The colors really ought to be configurable.  Additionally, there ought to be a way (perhaps optionally on or off) to tell if a file has been modified through some means other than color -- perhaps replacing the circle (which always looks the same other than its color) with one symbol representing unmodified, and another symbol for modified, or by shading one side of the tab, or even by italicizing the tab name.  Anything!  It's a tenet of good UI design that important information should never be represented by color alone.  It's hard to overstate how important this sort of thing is for those of us who struggle with colors.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:52:08 am »

I agree that right now, I cannot distinguish the saved and unsaved colors well at all. I used to distinguish them fine. I think something needs to be changed, even if it is just a revert.
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:41:21 am »

Actually I think it was changed away from Red/Green specifically for red/green colorblind people. However, I do agree with Phil and especially "It's a tenet of good UI design that important information should never be represented by color alone." But I don't think this has been discussed/looked into much (Note I'm going off of rev 241)
Trianta
Prospector

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:47:24 am »

Yes, the saved green and unsaved red colors a good and useful idea in the Crimson Editor.
ianh
Prospector

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 11:30:12 am »

I've just had to rebuild my computer and reinstalled a lot of my programs (nothing to do with Crimson), but after having used the "old" Crimson Editor for the last 4 or 5 years nearly every work day, I ended up installing Crimson/Emerald SVN259 instead. I'm comfortable with pretty much everything I've come across so far except this new LED arrangement.  I thought that the LED on the tab was always black and that it must be a bug.

I regularly have more than 10 tabs open and this is such an issue for me that I am going to have to go back to the "old" Crimson until it's fixed.  The original Crimson is a fantastic piece of work and there are so few things wrong with it that, for me, this new version is actually a retrograde step since it fixes nothing that I was having a problem with and breaks a nice feature that I liked. Still, I will almost certainly come back when it's sorted.

pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 02:34:03 pm »

Hello,

Couple of questions just to make sure I understand your issue. Is the problem that it's difficult do tell difference between red/black LED color or that edited file always stays black? So is it a color problem or the LED it totally broken?

I have not seen any cases when LED did not change color upon editing the file.

Thanks,
PN

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:41:54 pm »

I agree that the colors are difficult to differentiate. I am one of the main developers, and I actually use the old version (3.70) mainly for the same reason. I would like to revert that change some time. I also don't like the highlighted tab change.
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:22:02 am »

I have commented out tab highlighting and it should help with recognizing the LED color. Fix in rev 261. Please see if nothing else is broken.

PN.

Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 09:16:08 pm »

Switched back to green in revision 263.
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:53 pm »

I think the issue here was not with the LED color but with tab highlighting. When way back people were requesting a feature for active tab to be of a different color Pvt_Ryan did it through highlighting the tab. This also highlights the LE. I did not realize it because I'm using XP silver theme so the highlighting turns red into magenta and black to gray but on XP default theme highlighting is blue so red becomes more like a brown and it's difficult to tell it from black. I did not see it until I switched to Windows XP default theme. I removed highlighting so LED color is not distorted.

Thanks,
PN.

Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:06:34 pm »

I don't know if that is the problem other people were having, but for me, it was difficult to distinguish the black from the red even when a tab was not highlighted.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:10:30 pm »

Do you think we should put an asterisk after the filename if it is modified? This is what Visual Studio does.
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 06:10:11 pm »

I think that is a good idea. Perhaps deprecate the LED indicators completly.

The orig change of LED colour was due to a colourblind user complaining s/he couldnt see the change at all. It was a quick hack I never got round to fixing, hindsight suggests I should have used purple or something.
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 02:56:45 pm »

Guys. Personally I think red/black is perfectly fine. The highlighting was causing an issue because it was distorting the LED. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I currently see on my PC. I think this configuration serves all the purposes:

• LED is bright and visible since highlighting of the tab is disabled
  • Active tab is different from inactive tabs, it has yellow line on top and white background

I think it's the best solution available.

Thanks,
PN

* tabs.png (11.93 KB, 319x160 - viewed 686 times.)

Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 04:59:58 pm »

I didn't realize that the tab style was changed between 3.70 and the svn head. I agree that the active tab is much more distinguishable in svn head than in 3.70, but I didn't realize that until you mentioned the yellow highlighting, and I realized 3.70 didn't have that. So I probably misunderstood what other people were complaining about. Personally, I found black/red difficult, but maybe that's just me. Its easy to switch. Just edit one of the bitmaps in the res folder. I can always do a personal-use custom build with my preferred color scheme.

Take a look at http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-harmonies.htm. It shows some of the reasoning that probably went in to the red/green choice.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: