Emerald Editor Discussion
October 18, 2017, 10:15:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Packaging  (Read 7438 times)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« on: May 12, 2006, 02:18:13 am »

Another future thought....

How would we package the installs for the programs?

I wanted to make a suggestion.
I want to suggest using .msi for the windows side.  This promotes use of them in a possibly larger scale on a coporate side.

Since its easily used to push down to desktop machines using Active Directory.

Another thought...

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 03:26:19 am »

MSI has a ms windows installer dependency, the latest version of windows installer is 3. But this version will not work with windows 95/98/me, this would only work with ms installer 2. MSI is good for large installations because you can download and install at the same time. But one of our goals is to keep it small. For one of my .net programs I used wix tool set, I like it! But I think it is not the right tool for EE. The Nullsoft Scriptable Install System works on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003; it's free and open source.
We could also do xcopy deployment, another goal is not to depend on the windows registry so we probably don't need a installer, I think just a ZIP archive could work. But I like installers better than zip files, so I don't see a problem to have all three: msi, exe and zip. Why not?

Markus Schulz
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:46:45 am »

I agree...I was thinking about different deployment methods...but I didnt want to overdo it..Wink

I am getting my test environment ready as I speak....
(granted its not like I will have anything for a bit...but I will have a little fun testing reloads of the OS)

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:09:13 pm »

Well... if there is little/no Registry dependence, ZIP should be fine.

CE itself used NSIS to package, which doubled the size of the archive (CE is 1.7MB if you include all the syntax files and everything, and the installer is over 3MB)

I don't see a problem with ZIP as the base installer, then providing NSIS or MSI installers for the sake of convenience. I have a copy of InstallShield kicking around somewhere so I can probably bundle IS-based installers if we wanted. (I haven't use it in 3 years, I only built 1 installer with it but the license is still valid)

What about Mac OS X installers?

For Linux/Unix, in theory we could look at something like the Loki-installer set, but in reality I suspect we will eventually end up bundling source versions with GNU make-compliant makefiles and automake-made configure scripts. We probably could build binaries (much like Mozilla do for Firefox) but since most of the initial EE users will probably be CE converts, let's concentrate on Windows packages for now.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 12:59:49 pm »

I'd say we should definitely have an installer. I know that zip files can sometimes put people off, as they dont understand how the software works if it isn't 'installed'. I admit it, I used to be one of them.

This would be especially true of people coming from a Windows only environment.

Dave
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 01:34:51 pm »

Re: Windows installs...

It has to be as simple as download a .exe and double-click it.  And preferably, the installer itself shouldn't create a permanent directory, just a temp spot for its files if need be.

If you want, once you're out of beta stage you can start creating .msi's or some other format for easy-install across multiple computers.  You're already building packages for a number of operating systems anyways, so why not 2 for windows?
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 11:51:32 pm »

For Mac OS X, most software is just placed in a single DMG (a disk image) as one application bundle, with all the resources inside it, or as a folder: generally an installer is not needed. The only time one would use an installer is if there were any frameworks that needed to be globally installed, but that's hardly the case with EE.
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:05:43 pm »

So, from what we have ironed out, does this look acceptable?

Windows
 - .msi installer
 - .exe installer (using Nullsoft?  or some other .exe installer packaging system)

I look forward to see this.  I think having an .msi package really could lend to the app being used in the future by small companies who use Active Directory to install software.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 10:24:15 pm »

So far, the following packages have been suggested and seem to be the plan:

Windows:
- .MSI installer
- .EXE installer (we could use NSIS, or InstallShield)

Mac OS X:
- .DMG

Linux/Unix
- .tar.gz source archive
- .tar.bz2 source archive
- statically linked binary (.gz?) but raises issues with linking and dependences

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: