Emerald Editor Discussion
August 18, 2017, 05:21:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ctrl+X to delete an entire line  (Read 5177 times)
tacallah
Miner

« on: May 16, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »

I just upgraded from 3.70 to 3.72.241.  In the old version, Ctrl+X would delete a line.  I do not see that in the new version.  Can that be added in a future release?

Thanks!
Tim
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:05:39 pm »

In the old version, Ctrl+X would delete a line.  I do not see that in the new version.  Can that be added in a future release?

Ctrl+X is really the "cut" feature, not "delete line".  It so happens that when nothing was selected, Crimson used to cut the current line.  There was a lot of discussion on (1) whether this feature was a good idea, (2) how to make paste behave sensibly, and (3) whether to make it a user option.

I believe the conclusions were (1) some people love it and others hate it, (2) if cutting and copying are line-oriented, pasting really should be line-oriented as well, but this is on the complicated/inefficient side to implement, and (3) we'd rather not add the clutter of yet another preference.

There had been patches for people who prefer the old Crimson behavior, I don't know what became of them.  But I think the people who are complaining that the unselected cut/copy is missing have become the louder group, and the behavior should probably be restored to the "main" or "official" release.

I am personally still repulsed by what I consider to be a misfeature, especially with paste making no distinction between selected and unselected cut/copy, and thus I would rather have a preference to be able to turn it off.

Granted, preference creep is undesirable in general, but since programmers are the primary users of this type of editor, and programmers as a group are not afraid of choosing their own settings (in fact usually would rather have more control than be "protected" from having to deal with large numbers of settings), I think it is warranted in this case.

John
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:45:05 am »

I have always been a fan of the lotus notes ethos where all new (and old) features have options to turn them on or off.

The ony thing i am not a fan of is their organisation of such options. Also if taking this approach then the defaults should be the options that give the expected behaviour.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: