Emerald Editor Discussion
September 19, 2017, 06:05:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Directory Window: Use any directory as tree root.  (Read 4458 times)
yacwroy
Prospector

« on: May 05, 2008, 02:55:01 am »

My suggestion is to allow the tree root (the top element of the directory tree, eg C:) to be a directory, such as "C:/dev/myprogram"

This prevents me having all the folders in "C:" and "C:/dev" visible above and below the files for the program that I am working on. (I have 8 files and 2 directories inside my current project directory, but there's like 20 other folders and a few other files that clutter up the directory window).

In linux I have achieved this (sort of) by using my text editor on the right of the screen with a nautilus window in tree-view (side-pane hidden) on the left. This allows me to use any directory as the root of the tree, although it is less functional then the side-pane version.

Implementation:
I would think you could possibly add this to the rightclick-list when you right-click a directory in the directory window. Perhaps saying "Set $path$ as Root Directory." or something similar. To return to C: as the tree root you would simply select it from the dropdown menu.
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:26:48 am »

I would think that a project would always have a project folder that is automatically set to root. I can see some need for a folder-less project though and maybe setting a root for that project could be wise. Although that would essentially be a project folder with some items in the folder unincluded in the project.

In essence, a good project manager would be a great first project for the plugin system.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
yacwroy
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 05:09:48 am »

Sorry I could have put this a bit clearer.

I'm not talking about project view here. I prefer to use a raw directory for my projects since it's more portable and simpler to manage. However, whatever I am working on is my "project".

What I see however is:

C:/
  arc/
  dev/
    proj1/
    proj2/
    myproject/
      src/
        main.cpp
        *more files*
      include/
        header.h