Emerald Editor Discussion
May 30, 2017, 06:32:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A small CE graphics refactoring (True Color Toolbar)  (Read 9647 times)
Andy
Prospector

« on: April 06, 2008, 09:01:42 pm »

Hi to everyone,

searching for an "D Language IDE/editor" (I would like to study this language) I came to find out about the Crimson Editor, and continuing my web browsing I end up to this community.

Happy to find the CE source code and a refactored version to the VS 2005 (I work with C++/STL/MFC), I have give a try to study the code and to play a bit with it, I have updated the look to support true color toolbars.

Here's the screenshot with a new toolbor face:

The executable: cedt.zip (It's only a prototype, don't take it so seriously)
The source code: cedit-src.zip (worked only on the VS 2005 version)

Hope you find the thing interesting,

Andy

Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:22:43 am »

very nice..

When you are done with a fully stable version we can merge your code into our svn tree (if you allow us ofc).

One thing that would be cool for you to work on would be the tabs, we would like to see tabs that are dragable, middle click close etc.

Also feel free to choose any other bugs in the tracker to work on.. Smiley

PS: Being anal here but instead of providing the whole source the prefered method is a unified diff + new files (if they are binary files such as images). You can use tortoiseSVN to create a patch.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:28:11 am by Pvt_Ryan » Logged
Andy
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:24:01 pm »

In my opinion, the stability is relative because mainly I have added an old class for the true color toolbar found in the Codeproject web site.

The rest are simply new graphic bitmaps; the only thing, I didn't finish the "Project" toolbar. I would like to adapt the icons too to better match XP and Vista (256 px true color) keeping the original Crimson idea.

Sorry I didn't know about the patch files, here it is: cedt.patch

For the tabs part, I really don't know because with the VS 2008 and the MFC feature pack, the views are already tabled as you are asking without any other effort. Obvious, to implement the new tab type, the current project needs an important adaption and after the job, it will be impossible to use a VS different from the 2008 version.

Take a look to the following screenshot to realize what I'm saying, it's simply a project created with the VS 2008 AppWizard integrated with a Scintilla binded inside the view:

Andy

Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:42:04 pm »

In my opinion, the stability is relative because mainly I have added an old class for the true color toolbar found in the Codeproject web site.

The rest are simply new graphic bitmaps; the only thing, I didn't finish the "Project" toolbar. I would like to adapt the icons too to better match XP and Vista (256 px true color) keeping the original Crimson idea.

Sorry I didn't know about the patch files, here it is: cedt.patch

Thats fine not everyone does Smiley

I simply prefer it as its handier and I can skim changes quickly before applying them.

For the tabs part, I really don't know because with the VS 2008 and the MFC feature pack, the views are already tabled as you are asking without any other effort. Obvious, to implement the new tab type, the current project needs an important adaption and after the job, it will be impossible to use a VS different from the 2008 version.

Take a look to the following screenshot to realize what I'm saying, it's simply a project created with the VS 2008 AppWizard integrated with a Scintilla binded inside the view:

Andy

Personally I have both but due to space on my laptop I only have VS2k5 installed as I use it more. I'll try and apply the changes to my code tonight and have a play..
If you let us know when you have completed updating the older code and have done the images we can have  alook at merging it with our repo.

Can you backport the 2k8 tab features to 2k5 or is that ALOT of work (i have no idea as i tend to just hack other peoples mfc code)?
Andy
Prospector

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 07:26:09 pm »

Yes, I understand your VS 2008 problem that it's mine too.

The tabs, as the new application "look" in general are given by the Visual Studio 2008 Feature Pack and I think that they are born to live inside VS 2008 with the new MFC version.

This feature pack is essentially based on the BCGSoft library that I'm currently using in VS 2005, and I can say that it haves too many cross-dependences that will give alot of trouble trying to extract the only parts the project can need in the CE (probably license limitations too).

In my opinion, maybe after some studies the CE can migrate in something new based on the VS 2008 and it will have alot of advantages. Consider the "property control", the "caption bar" and the "menu and toolbar customization" for sample:

Honestly I don't know if this moving will be easy or not; inside the CE code, I have found alot of hacks to overcome some MFC limitations that where present the time Ingyu Kang have worked on this great project. For sample, this means that I don't know if it's easier to move the CE into a new AppWizard build MFC project, or to try to use the new MFC classes inside the current CE.

Currently I'm not VS 2008 licensed yet, and I'm using the evaluation version to understand if the product deserves. Anyway I think I'll buy it soon cause I'm working with a VS 2005 customer license and I find these things very interesting to give something new to my projects.

Anyway I'll try to see if I can help with some other points into the current CE version.  Smiley

Andy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 07:31:42 pm by Andy » Logged

Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 04:15:53 pm »

I think that going with this MFC update would be the easiest and best way to go. As a long-term goal to keep in mind, it would be nice if the CE logic could be extracted from any MFC code so that it could eventually have multiple backends. This way, a GTK+ backend could potentially be written to make CE be cross-platform, yet still have a nice-looking Windows version.

As an aside, another nice feature of the MFC update is Visual Studio style docking panels. These could be used the project, directory, and output panels.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: