Emerald Editor Discussion
May 25, 2017, 11:28:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: File Compare, Merge and 3way-Merge  (Read 5374 times)
Bigous
Prospector

« on: February 11, 2008, 03:42:14 pm »

File Compare, Merge and 3way-Merge are the 3 main features that I miss on almost all editors.
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:41:52 am »

If we support external tools in EE, we could call WinMerge with a menu command or something. I don't know if that does 3-way, though. Also, I'm not sure if we want such heavy features in a text editor. The most I want from my text editors is tabbed documents, auto-indentation, and syntax highlighting. Simple and fast. Although Column Mode in CE has to be one of the most useful features I've ever come across. That's not something I would have come up with on my own, though, and it's definitely CE-centric.
radav
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:42:30 am »

Rewriting WinDiff is certainly not a small development.
But there is a light solution that could offer much of the usual diff features for a minimal development cost.
The idea comes from CodeGenie, a quite good editor that I had been using before switching to CE.

The diff works as follows:
1. it displays the two files to compare side by side, in vertical panes (CE can already do that).
2. you (the user) position the caret at the beginning of each file, or wherever you want.
3. press the "diff shortcut key" (F4 on CodeGenie): the diff feature will
  - look forward for the first difference found
  - position the cursor at that position in each file.
  - or display a message box saying "No difference found" if no more differences are found up to end of file.
4. That's all !! If a difference is found, you can
 - modify whatever file you want,
 - or move the cursor past the difference in each file
 - press F4 (or whatever) to find the next difference.

Selecting the two files can be done through a dialog box, or just use the last two files whose tabs have been clicked.

So such a diff only uses features that are already present in the editor, and, when using it on CodeGenie, I found it quite handy.
Minimal development, maximal service. :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: