Emerald Editor Discussion
May 24, 2017, 05:11:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crimson Editor Suggestion  (Read 16915 times)
Makari
Prospector

« on: January 31, 2008, 03:49:47 pm »

Hello,

I have recently started using Crimson Editor after testing several different editors it seems to best suit my needs. However, there are a few things that I and the friend who introduced me to Crimson Editor find annoying.

• Each document tab should have a button used for closing the tab
  • Each document tab should be able to change its position in the document hierarchy by dragging and dropping it to the desired position
  • An option needs to be added to convert spaces to tabs upon opening a document

I'm sure I could think of more issues, but I think these are my three greatest annoyances.

Thanks!
zara
Prospector

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 04:49:16 pm »

One I would really love: An option in the tab pulldown menu to Close All Other Tabs

Zara
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:15:04 am »

Each document tab should be able to change its position in the document hierarchy by dragging and dropping it to the desired position

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean that you want to be able to rearrange tabs?

Phil
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:14:07 pm »

Yeah, I guess this is what he meant. Right now the only way to rearrange tabs is to close and open files in desired order. That's not quite handy.
PN

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 07:00:59 am »

Right now the only way to rearrange tabs is to close and open files in desired order. That's not quite handy.

I am a stupendously lazy person and haven't even tested this to make sure it works, but one thing to try if you have a lot of open files you want to rearrange is to close Crimson, manually edit the workspace file (cedt.wks in Crimson's program directory) in Notepad or something else, and reopen Crimson.  This of course assumes you have selected the option to reopen files upon starting Crimson.

It's still not what I would call convenient, but it might beat closing and painstakingly reopening files in the right order, especially if there are a lot of them and they are in various directories (making reselecting them more tedious).

I am actually just "porting" this tip from the SciTE forum.  Kind of funny that my two favorite editors just so happen to be the (seemingly) last two editors in the world that don't have drag-and-drop tab reordering!

John
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 01:54:55 pm »

It's still not what I would call convenient, but it might beat closing and painstakingly reopening files in the right order, especially if there are a lot of them and they are in various directories (making reselecting them more tedious).

I think an easier way of doing this, would be to create a project, and include all the files in it. Then, if you want to rearrange the tabs, just close the files, and reopen them in the desired order. Creating a project won't take any longer than closing CE, edit the workspace, and reopen CE. Personally, I use the project feature all the time. This saves me the hassle of having to search through the directories when I want to open a file that is already in the project, I just select the file in the project window, and open it using that link.

By the way, there is no restriction as to how many projects a file can be a member of; a project in CE is just a convenient way of grouping files together. Projects are stored in .prj files, and they can be edited just as easily as the workspace file. There is one difference; you cannot rearrange the files inside a category - CE will always sort the files in ascending order. But it is possible to group files together within a project; that's a detail I find rather convenient. So, while we're waiting for The Ultimate Solution, why not use the Project Solution?
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 06:38:20 am »

Hello,

I have recently started using Crimson Editor after testing several different editors it seems to best suit my needs. However, there are a few things that I and the friend who introduced me to Crimson Editor find annoying.

• Each document tab should have a button used for closing the tab

You can close a tab by either right clicking the tab name and clicking close or if it's in focus by clicking the close button below the CE close button

• Each document tab should be able to change its position in the document hierarchy by dragging and dropping it to the desired position

Yeah, this has been a request for a long time. I think it has to do with the underlying structure used to have the documents tabbed at all...so basically either blame Ingyung or Microsoft or both. At this point, it would probably be more work to find a new structure and implement than it would be worth for maintenance releases, which are a little more than but shouldn't be more than maintenance.

You can already do this for leading spaces. Would you really want it anywhere else? I'm not sure that'd be easy or necessary. If you really need to, do a find and replace for '    ' to '\t'.

I'm sure I could think of more issues, but I think these are my three greatest annoyances.

Thanks!

Ankit
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 08:48:08 am »

You can already do this for leading spaces. Would you really want it anywhere else? I'm not sure that'd be easy or necessary. If you really need to, do a find and replace for '    ' to '\t'.

Ankit

Or you can goto "Document -> Tabs & Spaces -> convert tabs to spaces"
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 04:33:50 pm »

Ankit

Or you can goto "Document -> Tabs & Spaces -> convert tabs to spaces"

I think he's trying to go the other way (spaces to tabs)
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

ok then:
Or you can goto "Document -> Tabs & Spaces -> convert spaces to tabs"
Or you can goto "Document -> Tabs & Spaces -> convert leading spaces to tabs"
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 06:58:21 pm »

Oh. There is a spaces to tabs. I didn't realize that. I thought it was only leading spaces to tabs. In that case, Makari, it already exists. Any reason you want it on open specifically? That really does seem unnecessary to me to add.
Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:09:23 pm »

Each document tab should have a button used for closing the tab
Not a bad idea. The Opera browser has this and it does improve usability, even though it only saves one button click and a little mouse movement per tab.
Quote from: Makari
Each document tab should be able to change its position in the document hierarchy by dragging and dropping it to the desired position
Also a good idea. It is especially important when you are flipping between two or more open files. Its helpful when their tabs are adjacent.
Quote from: Makari
An option needs to be added to convert spaces to tabs upon opening a document
Also good, though I'd personally do it the other way round (tabs to spaces). This is useful when working on files that have come from other programmers that follow a different coding style to your own.

Each of these are good ideas but none of them are show stoppers. CE is still a handy editor without them.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 02:30:11 pm »

Derek, with regards to the last request, tabs -> spaces and spaces -> tabs both already exist. For spaces -> tabs you can even do just leading spaces.
Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:21 am »

Derek, with regards to the last request, tabs -> spaces and spaces -> tabs both already exist. For spaces -> tabs you can even do just leading spaces.
The request was for the conversion to happen upon opening a file. In other words, the conversion is to be done automatically when you open a file.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
mocallins
Miner

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 09:45:22 pm »

Absolutely, a little "x" on the tab, to close it.   Grin

A feature that I have in another editor, that I use occasionally, holding "shift" when you click on the tab, closes as well, and its got a setting in "Preferences" to enable or disable.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:47:06 pm by mocallins » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: