Emerald Editor Discussion
May 24, 2017, 04:29:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scheduled Downtime  (Read 19375 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: December 27, 2007, 01:24:24 am »

On Friday 28 December at around 9pm GMT the server will be down for up to 2 hours while I upgrade the server and re-establish that everything is working. Hopefully it will be significantly less than that. It really depends on how effectively things go, ideally about 20 minutes, but I'm allowing up to 2 hours knowing the level of changes.

What's happening:
  • RAM upgrade, adding another 256MB to it (from 512MB)
  • Multiple software upgrades, including moving from PHP 4 to PHP 5, as well as moving to Apache 2.2.
  • Increase of available space for all services, adding a further 4GB of space.

Any questions beforehand please let me know in the forum - the downtime will affect all services provided by emeraldeditor.com.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:05:54 pm »

The system is up and running again, but due to unforeseen conflicts between some of the packages used by other sites on this server, the upgrade was smaller than expected.

The RAM was updated, and so was disk space, but we haven't moved too much of the software. We are still using PHP 4 and Apache 2.0 while I make the necessary changes. It probably won't be until next week at the earliest that I make the changes.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

trodas
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 06:48:39 pm »

Not a problem. It is really necessary to move to PHP5 and Apache 2.2? I see no real reason out there, but that is just me Wink

PS. in about dialog of EE, the hotlink "Homepage" open this address:
http://crimson.emeraldeditor.com/
...and there are no index file and only files are listed as they are on the server. This is a dangerous configuration (listing should be denied) as well, as the missing index file  Wink
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:53:18 pm by trodas » Logged

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
...just keep folding, just keep folding... Smiley my config
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 08:06:27 pm »

The move to Apache 2.2 and PHP 5 is for other things, not for EE; the server is a shared resource and hosts other sites as well as EE and all its bits and pieces.

I do really need to do something with crimson.emeraldeditor.com, actually, but I haven't had chance yet. I'm not sure how dangerous the configuration since other security measures are in force.

I will get an index file up there sometime if I had any ideas what people wanted the Crimson homepage to do.

Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:51:19 pm »

actually yes it is important to move to php5 as php4 is no longer in support iirc (iirc except for critical security fixes). So a complete move to php5 is wise to ensure a site is fully patched..
decuant
Prospector

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:16:30 pm »

Hello people,

I have tried to submit a bug, but the bug's table is reported as corrupted and I got a failure.

My problem is the integration with openctags, which currently is not working.

It requires the key "SOFTWARE\Crimson System\Crimson Editor\InstallDir" with the correct value. I did it.

Now Emerald is giving me this error:

---------- Capture Output ----------
> "C:\ctags57\OpenCTags.exe" display_err_hex -f C:\antonio_svn\fat_software\shared_fat\trunk\src\applic\snakehed.c -e crimson -l 146
17:08:21: Error: Failed to create connection to server '5252' on topic 'IPC OPENCTAGS BY RJ': a client's attempt to establish a conversation has failed.

Sorry again if this is not the right place where to post problems.

Thanks

Antonio
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 06:38:27 pm »

Hello,
Sorry about that - I've been away on holiday this week, just got back to find there had been a problem.

Should be fixed now - I've posted this bug to the tracker.

I don't believe the openctags integration was something that had ever picked up on since the source was opened a while ago.

vltakacs
Prospector

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 08:14:36 am »

Hi guys,

Shouldn't you update your front page sometimes?
That notification for the outage at last christmas is a bit out of date.

Cheers,

Viktor
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 12:55:01 pm »

Well, join the team and create more updates Smiley
PN.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
vltakacs
Prospector

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 08:42:53 am »

It was no offense.
It wasn't supposed to be a picking on you but if you want to get more people helping you
then the site should look like a site of a living project. First glance matters very much, you know that.
 Wink

I don't say you should make it a web2 site. I only suggested to update the "What's happening" field on the frontpage from time to time.
Some new lines every week would do the trick.

Am I wrong?

Cheers,
vIQtor
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:14:55 am by vltakacs » Logged
itaylor
Prospector

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 11:22:31 pm »

I registered so that I could post in support of vltakacs.

About 7 years ago I did a search of editors and settled on CE as the best. Then I convinced at least a dozen of my colleagues to jump on board too. However, after starting to use linux last year switched to jEdit so that I could have something cross-platform. When I heard of the EE project, I was very excited, and every few months I've gone to the main page to see if it looks like progress is being made. After about 6 months of assuming the project was dead, I finally went into the forums and saw life. Obviously it was important to announce the downtime, but I think once things were back on, it would be worth removing that notice so that everyone can see on first glance that the more important note about the latest beta.

Thank you all for continuing to work on this.
-Ian

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: