Emerald Editor Discussion
July 20, 2017, 09:42:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plugins - Modules for extended functionality  (Read 5619 times)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« on: May 10, 2006, 03:34:28 am »

I have an interesting question for you.

You guys (programmers) could answer this better than I could (not being a programer).

What if we designed this in this fashion....

EE was designed with a specific featureset built in.  This featureset is the basics...the used day to day functionality that we all use.
Then plugins are built to extend it, giving it more programmer friendly features...such as Language Libraries, Spellchecking, etc...

This would make the base install, which many of us want does not have as someone else stated as "bloat" out of the basic install.  Keeping the file small and fast...

Thoughts?

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 02:44:44 pm »

I'm surprised this has not yet been discussed further.  I think a plug-in architecture would serve the users well.  We'd be able to create a lean, mean, editing machine, and then when people want stuff like (s)ftp client, complier access, extra yet not basic feature, then a plug-in can be created.  Sounds reasonable, does anyone here have actual experience with implementing such an architecture?

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 03:03:19 pm »

I don't have any experience writing this architecture, but EE should have a fairly-solid API  (programming interface) to make writing plugins easy. I think they'd be compiled C++ code that EE knows how to run.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 02:22:39 pm »

Well, this has been debated, but never very heavily. The consensus of the initial discussions was to create a core editor system which included most features and then wrap a Lua processor (or something similar on top)

However, I think it might be wiser to write a really minimalist editor then have everything wrapped up in "plugins" of some description. As for being compiled C, that is an idea, but it could be an issue for adding new plugins (although we're looking to Linux/Mac OS X as target platforms instead of just Windows).

Look at Firefox: that has many, many extensions - all written in JavaScript and Chrome/XUL/whatever you want to refer to it as - and that allows new developers to play as well as existing programmers, and doesn't require knowing a major language like C (like something like WinAmp would).

I'm just trying to come up with a solution that is easy to use, flexible, functional and not too large. Even WinAmp, really, does that - all of the supported input systems are built in the same plug-in style, which means they are independently upgradable.

There are a few features which have to be available whatever we do - e.g. regexp parsing, not to mention the fundamental editing/copying/pasting/deleting and friends - but everything else can be built using those as a base. I don't intend to make it themeable however!!

"Themeable does not equal slimline!"

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:27:57 pm »

I agree...

We have our base system with the plugins that grant additional functionality to it.
Arantor said it all, nothing I can add to it.

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
awmyhr
Senior Miner

Maintainer of Obscure and Unused Ports

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:03:24 pm »

Let me add my agreement to Arantor's ideas.  

The only thing I can add at this point is I'd prefer if the plug-ins can be written in such a way that they do not need to be compiled seperately for each OS.  C wouldn't give us that, I'd like us to stay completely away from Java on this projet (I don't think it's a good fit), but could Lua help us achieve this? I actually know nothing about Lua, I'll have to look it up, anyone have a good link?

-->>  This Space 4 Rent  <<--
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 05:44:58 pm »

The main page is www.lua.org - to be honest I need to read up as well... but I think this is probably the best way to go about it.

Syntax highlighting won't be Lua-based, and neither will basic editing features, but other than that, most things can be Lua-based plugins.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: