Emerald Editor Discussion
October 22, 2017, 09:02:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Follow this file  (Read 5004 times)
dotpointer
Prospector

« on: December 13, 2007, 09:53:12 am »

When a opened file is updated, Crimson reports it and ask if refresh of the opened file is wanted.

Would be nice to have some kind of "Follow this file"-function, but also to be able
to ignore the message for the certain file.

Some smarthead here can probably think of a way to both be able to save the newly user-inserted
content and update the file. Cheesy

But just to be able to auto-update (and write-lock?) the file would be good, for logging for example,
having the question popping up every time is annoying.  Tongue
Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:12:20 pm »

Agreed. To be able to mark a file as 'auto-reload when changed' would be very useful. It should probable tell when it does this, and in an unobtrusive manner, so it doesn't stop the work flow.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:44:34 am »

I'm probably missing the point. Several scenarios are possible:

1. File was updated from outside. User wants to keep his changes and overwrite the file.
2. File was updated from outside. User wants to update the file. All his changes are erased.
3. File was updated from outside. User wants to keep his changes but not to overwrite the file. User hits "Save As".

What you are talking about is probably a version control system because when multiple people work with the same file sooner or later you will run into conflicts that needs to be manually resolved. That's something outside of text editors' job in my opinion.

I think that CE does exactly what it supposed to do. It tell you - "The file has been changed, there are chances that someone will lose his data. What do you want to do?" It warns that there is a conflict. Again it's just my point of view.

Thanks,
PN.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

well I think that's the "optimal" behavior you're referring to. I agree that that is outside of a text editor's realm. But I also think that it is annoying to have CE repeatedly ask you about a file that you do just want to keep auto-reloading. So in the "this file has been updated" dialog there should be a check box or something that says "do not ask again for this file during this session" or something.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: