Emerald Editor Discussion
May 28, 2017, 01:23:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Correct Soft-Wrapping at Right-Hand Column Marker...  (Read 5523 times)
Drake1132
Prospector

« on: November 11, 2007, 07:09:21 pm »

OK, I only just found this site, so hi everyone Smiley...

I've used Crimson Editor for a couple of years now and as a general rule I love it, but there's one thing that has always annoyed the geebus out of me.  Because of it I have spent large numbers of hours searching (in vain) for an editor that would do what I want so that I can replace CE.  The problem is with the way that CE up to 3.70 handles soft-wrapping for word wrapping at the right-hand column margin.  I set the wrap column precisely where I want it, and that works great, but if my text works out just right, punctuation that should not be wrapped gets wrapped and some punctuation that should get wrapped doesn't get wrapped.

For example, if at the end of the line I have a word, followed by a comma, followed by a space, followed by another word ("<word1>, <word2>") and the second word should be wrapped but the comma would be the last character that would fit on the line, CE will wrap the comma, the space, and the second word so that the next line starts with the comma (as below)..

stuff typed here,| more stuff typed here     --> the pipe character delineates the column wrap point

stuff typed here|                                    --> the pipe character delineates the current, incorrect soft-wrap point
, more stuff typed here

stuff typed here,|                                   --> the pipe character delineates the soft-wrap as it should be
more stuff typed here

Similarly, periods will do the same thing, and parentheses will do the opposite.  That is, if I have "word1 (|word2)" CE 3.70 will leave an orphaned parenthesis as follows...

word1 (|
word2)

The way it should be is...

word1|
(word2)

I LOVE everything else about CE, but that one flaw irritates me so badly that I can't stand to use the program anymore.

The closest alternative I've found is jEdit, which works quite well and has the features I want and handles soft-wrapping correctly, but it doesn't look as good in the interface and it has redraw problems if I Alt-Tab between it and a full-screen program (like a movie or a game for example) and that irritates me about as much as CE's faulty soft-wrapping.  On top of that it loads really slowly.

So my feature request, then, is that soft-wrapping work the way it's supposed to, particularly with respect to punctuation marks of various sorts.

Other than that, if anyone has, or would be willing to get the CE source code and fix that one problem and then get it to me in, either already compiled and ready to run on Windows XP or capable of being compiled in MS Visual Studio 2005, I would love to get it from you.

Thanks,
Drake
Drake1132
Prospector

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:42:36 am »

A quick edit...

It might be that the incorrect wrapping is not as indicated above but rather if the punctuation mark is before or after the last column while it's connected word is the opposite.  for example...

word1|, word2          --> this would wrap the comma and space to the next line when it should wrap everything from word1 and after

I can't remember for sure which it is, but in either case, the program fails to realize that a comma should be considered part of the word that precedes it for the purpose of soft-wrapping, likewise with a period, an open-parenthesis should be associated with the word that comes after it, unless there is a space between them which there shouldn't be, and a close-parenthesis should be associated with the word that precedes it likewise unless there is a space between them which there shouldn't be.

So, yeah... that's what I'm after.
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 07:21:26 pm »

Yeah, that looks annoying. If you haven't, please file a bug in the bug tracker.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 08:47:50 pm »

One thing I'd like to add: I don't know if the behaviour is actually intentional, or not, but consider that the editor is not designed with text-editing in mind, it's designed initially for programmers. I guess Mr Kang assumed as a result that programmers would want character-level wrapping, not word-level wrapping.

Personally I prefer it at character-level, since then I don't inadvertently get spaces before punctuation when there shouldn't be any, but that's just me.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: