Emerald Editor Discussion
October 22, 2017, 04:23:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sftp/scp support  (Read 6165 times)
kurgan
Prospector

« on: May 09, 2006, 06:35:22 am »

so you can open/save a file to an sftp/scp web site.

Thanks
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:10:22 pm »

SFTP/SCP support will definitely be included, but the issue that will arise is one of licensing - and distribution of the code.

SFTP/SCP rely on SSH support, which I assume will be brought about through OpenSSL. OpenSSL itself uses an Apache-style license, so that's not a problem, but the whole issue of legality with using and distributing software which has SSL support in it is a big one.

It is not destined for support until later in the roadmap, but it is one we will try and include - subject to governmental restrictions.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
shammat
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:51:16 am »

It is not destined for support until later in the roadmap, but it is one we will try and include - subject to governmental restrictions.

I'm not too familiar with SSL support, but as far as I understand it's a matter of including/calling a certain DLL. Couldn't EE simply be built on the assumption that the OpenSSL libraries are available in the editor's directory. If they cannot be loaded during startup (or when needed), the sftp support will be disabled. The distribution will not include the questionable libraries and the user can download them on their own, and copy them into the EE directory. When starting EE the next time, the sftp support would automagically be enabled.
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:46:18 pm »

Sounds like a plugin to me, hehe.  Another reason why plugins are good, in case random governmental restrictions prevent you from installing things where you live.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: