Emerald Editor Discussion
July 20, 2017, 09:40:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to start?  (Read 12811 times)
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« on: May 05, 2006, 07:23:28 pm »

It seems things have sort have died down a little, most people are probably waiting on some sort of a decision to be made as far as where to start, what to start with, and who is starting it. Smiley

Or, are there still topics that need to be discussed and solved first?

Another thing that might be helpful, especially for people like me who come from a different background (mine is web and database mostly), would be some sort of guide as how to get started. Nothing too indepth myabe just a few things that we'll need to get started. I've got scintilla but have not had much time to look at it. I can see the need for someone to help others out in the beginning, especialy people who haven't done anything of this nature previuosly. I'm not sure if there is anything on the web or not, honestly I'd not know where to look.

I know there are probably a lot of people out there that would like to help but might be dissuaded by the size/complexity/lack of familiarity of the project. I dont mean for this to become a teaching environment but more of a helpful one where the experienced people can point others in the right direction and not have to do all the work themselves.

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 09:35:17 pm »

Exactly - that is precisely the sentiment with Emerald Editor that I would like to see.

I would very much like to start this show on the road.

Language: C++ (with C perhaps)

For Windows development, I'm personally going to be using Dev-C++ as that gives me a nice GUI to play with and makes life a little easier for me. It does, of course, use GCC (and therefore G++) which means *nix shouldn't be too difficult to work with.

For development purposes, and the team structure we talked about before, I'd like to see the GUI be built first, with hook functions (function templates) in place so that the GUI works in as much as it loads and is clickable and menues work (as in the RAD tool style of development).

We will be using a command system, so at this stage, any GUI commands need not actually do anything, simply that the function prototypes are there and that it compiles and runs. Scintilla shouldn't - initially - be linked or implemented.

The GUI should use wxWidgets and compile cleanly on recent GCCs (MinGW for Windows) and so should create window instances with accessible GUIs on Windows/*nix/Mac OS X (I'm going on the logic here that if we start off with a cross-platform approach, we can carry it on throughout the project, instead of trying to bolt it on later)

Again, if anyone wants/needs SVN commit access, please let me know and I'll arrange it (contact by email, sleeping [put-that-at-sign-here] myperch.org in the first instance). Btw, putting ViewVC on was not as successful as I'd hoped last night. I'm still trying to get a SVN/Apache client installed and functioning.

Before anyone asks, the GUI is probably the most important component of EE - save for the editing window itself - and it is the simplicity and functionality that makes it work nicely. When I say the GUI should be accessible, the menues, toolbar, and any dialogs should be functional in as much as they can be loaded and unloaded and have all the appropriate controls/widgets on them.

As I have said before I am not an experienced C/C++ coder, but I have much experience in other languages, so I'm sure I'll pick it up fairly quickly.

EE is not a single person's project. It is a team project. Go "Team Emerald!"

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:05:46 pm »

I think we should use StEdit as our code base, we should also contact John Labenski, the creator of StEdit to see if this is OK. StEdit is licensed under the wxWindows license, this is a essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may be distributed on the user's own terms. This would be acceptable. May John could help, it looks like he is very skilled... with John on the team we clould clone CE probably in no time.

John Labenski Homepage:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~jrl1/

Right now StEdit with all the DLLs has 8 MB, I'm sure we can change this. But I'm also sure we will never be able to get EE on one 1.44 MB disk.

Markus Schulz

PS: we still have a lot of work to do.
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 11:30:50 pm »

I'm leaning in the same direction as alpha is. I've played with StEdit a little bit throughout the day and can compile it and can make some basic changes, mostly because I'm still remembering how C++ works Smiley

My executable is slighly over 3.5 megs. Using the compile of the sample app. I'm not sure if that is with all the dlls or not, I can't seem to find any, unless it is putting them in another directory somewhere.

It looks like it would be a solid base for us to start with if there is no problem with the licensing.

Dave
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 12:04:03 am »

I used dynamic link build (stedit.exe was only 135kb + 8 MBs of DLLs) and dsvick probably used a static link build. It looks like the static link uses less memory. And with the help of exe compression utility we should be able to be around the 2.5 MB for the exe and no dlls... This sounds ok to me.

Markus Schulz
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 12:57:50 am »

wxluaEditor is a StEditor with wxLua support, this would be even better!! Some People requested Lua support for scripting. I never used Lua, but it looks good.

Here are some Windows Mac and Linux screen shots:
http://wxlua.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

Markus Schulz
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 05:54:08 pm »

If we used the Lua version wont we run into the same problems we were thinking of when considering D? I'd think we could find more developers to help with EE if it is in C/C++. I'm having enough trouble remembering how things work in C++ as it is Smiley

Dave
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:30:43 pm »

The StEdit Lua (wxluaEditor) version is written in C/C++ (see source), but it includes the wxLua library. This just enables Lua scripting for wx, so you can open up a class and use it within Lua as well (we could use swig to automatically generate the interface files for our functions and classes). So Lua Users can use all the wx and our classes and functions. This gives us two options where to develop, first at the core engine in C/C++ and second to use Lua to add modules. This Lua scripts can be used to build extensions, like Firefox with xul and JavaScript. E.g. we could implement a calculator or a diff viewer as a module.

Here is a link to wxLuaEditor.cpp
http://www.koders.com/cpp/fid7E412ED26DA3D277A4B49AE0D880786A17C101B4.aspx

Markus Schulz

PS: I don't care about Lua, but I do care about a scripting language.
textpad_user
Prospector

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 04:51:06 am »

I would just like to ask if there are updates on the development or design of EE (from proj manager or architect)?
I'm quite eager for this project to start, and I might be able to pitch in some help in the future. =)
Soulfish
Project Manager
Administrator
Miner

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 07:23:06 pm »

Well there's been a flurry of activity recently, and we're certainly hoping to get the first initial drafts of the design out towards the beginning of Febuary. That should give you something to look forward to in the not too distant future Smiley

John

"A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on"
blaise
Prospector

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 04:58:58 am »

Why not starting completely from scratch? That way you won't have overhead or code/behavior you're not familiar with.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 05:58:29 am »

This is the plan.

Crimson Editor will be maintianed while Emerald Editor is written.

The CE codebase is not an ideal starting point for EE. CE will just be used as a reference for the general direction we are heading.

Phil
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: