Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 04:06:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some news coming up on the syntax front...  (Read 5021 times)
Szandor
Senior Miner

« on: July 26, 2007, 04:57:44 pm »

I'm currently redesigning the SDD. The basic idea and structure still applies, but I've been reading up a bit on BNF and thought stuff through. What I can now say I lacked in the beginning was a more precise aim than just "define a language" and with a clearer philosophy behind what I want from the SDD I can mold it into something better.

What I really want is a variation on BNF, enhanced through RegExp-like expressions and aimed for people not wanting to write 600-line documents just to get their SQL-syntax highlighted (SQL defined through BNF is 638 rules long, which is actually a lot more in lines since every rule can have any number of lines and often has at least five.). SDD:s will focus on defining blocks of code suitable for highlighting or in other ways manipulate in order to help write the code in question. With this in mind, the initial goal of completely and unambiguously defining a language have diminished in size, although SDD will still be perfectly capable of this as well.

I will consider comments already written in other threads, but if you have any more comments just feel free to post them here and I'll consider them too.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
Szandor
Senior Miner

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:44:02 am »

The new improved SDD will work thusly:

• The same basic structure as BNF, giving it power and simplicity.
  • Advanced wildcards and search strings inspired by RegExp, giving it flexibility and making it more compact.
  • The SDD will have a focus on defining blocks of code, providing host programs with a way of manipulating those blocks.
  • A stylesheet system similar to CSS to provide more information about blocks than just the syntax inside them.

"Cleverly disguised as an original signature..."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: