Emerald Editor Discussion
March 26, 2017, 12:27:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crimson Editor 3.72 currently in beta  (Read 35344 times)
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 03:39:41 pm »

Don't get too exited. The update will likely be very similar to 3.70, which you already have. If you want to preview what we have now, you can download pre-release versions at http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=361.0.

Phil
Bon Bon
Prospector

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 11:35:37 am »

Sorry for my attitude but Emerald put a lot of effort into opening the source of Crimson so I give them credit for that, but why the fuck is it taking so long to release an update that fixes the issues I always have with Crimson, to be honest I am not looking for any additional features, I am just looking for bugs such as UTF-8 file detection to work correctly and maybe some updates to fix bugs introduced when running under Vista.

Do you want money to get your arse in gear because I have plenty to spare, I just want to see the damn thing working without bugs, scrap all these so called new features just fix the bugs. Now could somebody tell me if I am speaking for myself here or is this something that everybody generally feels?
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 03:05:44 pm »

We are working on both, however this is a hobby not a job and speaking for myself my knowledge of mfc etc is quite limited so it takes a long time for me to trace through the code (which wasn't written by me in the first place), and believe it or not, I enjoy going to the pub for a drink the odd time when I not working instead of coming home and sitting down infront of another computer.

If you want bugs fixed quicker learn C++ and submit patches I will be happy to review them and commit or get more people to help us, atm there are only 3 of us and I havent spoken to the other 2 in a few weeks.

I would also point out the reason features seem to be added more than bugs fixed it is because it is generally easier to add something that trace the code and determine the orign of a bug and then come up with a solution for it.

Another point is that have zero understanding of UTF8 in respect to coding so I dont even know what to look for to determine the cause of bugs in it.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 12:50:10 am »

I just don't have the time to work on it. I don't get paid for any of my work; so I have very little motivation. I don't really want to get paid for it either because the pay would likely be very unsteady, and I would rather just get a steady paying job. I have been very inactive lately; this is my first post in probably over a month.

Phil
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 02:29:38 am »

I really think we should not explain why there is no work done. If one is around for a while he knows what the issues are.
PN
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 02:41:32 am by pn8830 » Logged

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
somekool
Prospector

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 01:21:42 pm »

Hi,

I love Crimson Editor. on Windows at least, it is the best.

but on one of my computer at work, I have no admin rights.
thus I cannot right in the registry for InstallDir.

could you please store this registry somewhere else so users don't need admin rights to use your program?

thanks
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 02:42:03 pm »

Download the zip version and run the exe from the extracted folder, it should run fine.
Gleason
Prospector

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 02:47:13 am »

I would also point out the reason features seem to be added more than bugs fixed it is because it is generally easier to add something that trace the code and determine the orign of a bug and then come up with a solution for it.

A statement that echoes through projects everywhere.
And so, in spite of its virtues, shareware/open source can never really prosper. 
In the realm of non free software, new features attract new users, while bugs usually haven't been noticed yet by them.
Not that CE isn't a pretty darn good free text editor.  Among a number of others free or not.  Not so many email clients that do IMAP well
around.  It is much harder to do IMAP well.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: