Emerald Editor Discussion
September 25, 2017, 01:56:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Crimson Editor 3.72 currently in beta  (Read 36609 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: July 12, 2007, 12:44:37 am »

The team is currently testing the recent patches to Crimson Editor 3.72, the first, and probably most hotly anticipated version, to be released by the Emerald Editor community.

We hope to have it out before we would get to the 3-year-without-updates mark, and we're just polishing off a few bugs which have crept in since the benchmark of 3.70.

If you're really keen, a beta only version is currently available for Win2000/WinXP/Vista users on the first post on the forum post. Please note, this is a BETA version, and as such may still do awkward or unpleasant things. If it does, please let us know in our bug tracker.

Update so far for 3.72:
  • Portable running - no installation required
  • Improved UTF-8 w/o BOM support
  • Various miscellaneous bug fixes

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 12:22:57 pm »

LOL, I think it'd be funny if we put it out on the 3 year mark as a sort of "Happy Birthday, CE; Here's your new version Tongue"
moorepe
Prospector

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:47:59 am »

Being a user of crimson for years I have a lot of respect for the project. I realize that its a difficult thing but when do you think that the 1st cut of Emerald editor is due for Linux?  After all there are now a few win32 editors on the scintilla path that are starting to surpass Crimson editor (notepad++ is very good at the moment). But nothing yet stands out on linux with function of Crimson. I think that this is where most ground and interest would be won.

Also how many are contributing to this project ?

By the way i think you guys have put together a kick butt web site which is very enjoyable to visit...

Thanks
pete
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:55:11 am by moorepe » Logged
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 05:01:03 am »

Understood. I'm also waiting, Pete. There's a good amount of people willing to contribute to this project, but as of right now, we're waiting on a response/go-ahead from the Design team. If you have a windowing system/code base suggestion, that would be awesome. Apparently Scintilla was under question, so the EE project is kind of stalled right now Undecided so that's the status.

PS: Arantor Pete, what's going on with the logo at the top and the smilies and such? Is it just my computer or is it all pixely?
EDIT: GARRRRRRRRRRR why is it always MY extensions that break things. It's just me. Stupid addons. Sad
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:30:53 am by rageboy » Logged
beefsack
Prospector

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 05:52:38 am »

great news keep it up guys Cheesy downloading now

ce2000
Miner

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 03:46:45 am »

cool! in my opinion CE is more important than emerald editor now that its open source  Wink good to hear a new version is going to be out soon

CE2001
Miner

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:48:41 am »

LOL ce2000 Cheesy

Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

BB Online UK Ltd
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:27:07 pm »

To be honest I dont think we will make a release in time for the 3year mark.. I think that a likely release date for an RC would be early November at best with it being more likely to be december for that and early 2008 for the final 3.72 release.

Although we will do our best to prove me wrong.
kanary
Prospector

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 07:21:50 am »

hello,

Im an CE user for years.
Dont now where to add some future ideas here but i got an request.
for my work and my personal websites i am out of ftp rows you can add some ftps like 15 i gues.

but for me its to few cant you make a mapping ftp save option like www.smartftp.com does ?

that would be easlier and beter for everyone i gues ?

Hope i see it in the next version

keep on the good work respet.
Danny
Holland
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 11:05:46 am »

If you look in the forum under crimson editor there are feature request theads there
jonesdel
Prospector

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 11:08:24 am »

3 years between releases is nothing to be ashamed of. I use Crimson Editor 3.70 on a very regular basis; is very reliable and useful. Maybe 3 years between releases is a testament to the quality of Crimson Editor.
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 01:43:40 am »

I happen to agree that there isn't some hard and fast rule that any product without new releases every [pick some time interval] is a bad product, even in the fast-paced world of software.

I also agree that Crimson 3.70 is a perfectly good editor to use for most regular editing tasks, especially in fairly well-supported programming languages (like the C family and Python, a little less so for the Pascal family and Ruby).

However, in this particular case, Crimson's lack of new release in 3 years is mainly a testament to Ingyu Kang's lack of time and energy to work on the project.  I suppose you could speculate that he would be more motivated to work on Crimson if he felt it was in such bad shape that it needed his attention, so in that sense it may be quality-related.  However, he had already announced some planned changes for an upcoming release, indicating he felt there was still more to be done.  He may have even implemented or partially implemented some of those changes, indicating he was still working on it to some extent after 3.70.  Yet that upcoming release never came.  Fortunately, he gave in to the community's pleading for him to open the source.

John
barberboy
Prospector

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:36:17 pm »

Two days until the 3 year mark. Any word on a release?
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 11:49:44 pm »

We wont make the 3year mark.. To release at this stage would be irresponsible of us as CE is just Not ready for another release.
lami
Prospector

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 04:10:01 am »

When is an upgrade coming out PLEASE...

I miss this darn editor... There's too much blotted crap out there...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: