Emerald Editor Discussion
March 25, 2017, 02:55:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reference: Crimson Editor 3.70 feature list  (Read 20200 times)
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 11:36:17 pm »

This is a screen shot of BBEdit's search and replace window: http://www.bluestatic.org/emerald/bbeditsearch.png

It allows all those checkbox options, it highlights the regex patterns as you type them, and in the multi-file search, you can specify filters to only act on certain files.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:50:22 pm by daemon » Logged
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 09:26:27 am »

That looks really impressive actually, though I do note the reference to Grep in there. I think that is the most comprehensive search thing I've ever seen.

I'm also intrigued by the comment about highlighting regexps on-the-fly, because I wonder what the kind of performance hit that would be on large files.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 04:33:59 pm »

It highlights in the search/replace boxes, not in the files: http://www.bluestatic.org/emerald/bbeditgrep.png
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 04:59:11 pm »

I see now... I think that would be quite a useful feature to have, really. I certainly don't see why not.

IMO, anything which makes an app easier to use without making it awkward (i.e. syntax highlighting, since it's useful without being intrusive) can only be a good thing.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
rolandd
Prospector

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 10:12:31 am »

Not sure if you guys are familiar with jEdit but it also has quite an advanced Find and Replace. See the screenshot here: http://www.rolandd.com/ee/jedit.png

One other feature I really like in jEdit which is a plugin is OpenIt. With the shortcut key ALT-SHIFT-O, I get a dialog box in which I type part of the filename and it shows me all the files that match it. Then I can select a file and open it. The plugin searches only the folders specified in its settings and leaves out anything you put in the ignore settings Wink. This is for me at least a very fast way of opening files within a project.

Just an idea  Roll Eyes

Regards,

RolandD
Wahooney
Miner

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 10:18:16 pm »

@Arantor: in addition to highlighting the regex as daemon showed, actually highlighting strings found with regex would be way beyond awesome, it would be like super awesome Wink And it needn't be bloated either, you could have it only run over the code a few lines above and a few lines below the code visible in the UI instead of the whole file.  Sometimes regex statements are pretty tricky and having an indication that the one you're writing may be working, or not, would be uber handy.

Alternatively, one could select (or write) a piece of code that the regex would run over on the fly, this can be shown in the Find and Replace dialog and hidden when not in use.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 07:35:39 am by Wahooney » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: