Emerald Editor Discussion
May 28, 2017, 09:36:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Reference: Crimson Editor 3.70 feature list  (Read 20659 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: April 26, 2006, 12:33:21 am »

Well, some people want to be clear on Crimson Editor 3.70's feature list as a kind of todo list for Emerald Editor 1.0. I don't think it's too far off the mark to include such a list, but please don't see this as definitive as EE 1.0's features. This is a complete summary of features in CE 3.70, and the thread can be used to discuss what needs to be in EE 1.0, and what can wait, or be rethought.

Core features:
* Multiple file editing (multiple document interface)
* Unlimited file size (subject to file system limits)
* Long lines (32,767 characters, I believe)

Editing features:
* Standard Windows clipboard cut/copy/paste, plus appending to current clipboard contents
* Extended selection tools (character, word, line, block)
* Alter case in selection (upper, lower, invert, capitalise initial letters)
* Go to line number...
* Find/replace/replace in files (optionally with regular expression support)
* Code bookmarking
* Columnar marking
* Code indenting
* Windows or Unix line endings
* Spell checker, optionally able to add words

User interface features:
* Syntax highlighting (user editable)
* End bracket/brace highlighting
* Current line highlighting
* Line, column, number of lines in the file
* Word wrap
* Display of line numbers and column indicators

Special features:
* Recordable macro support, allowing automation of most functions
* Scientific calculator
* DOS shell on keystroke
* User tools (defining an external command to run on a keystroke, most useful for C/C++ compilers etc)
* Project management (defining a group of files to act as a project)
* Open and edit remote files over FTP

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:42:53 am »

Here is a list of the most requested features from the CE forum and other feedback I've seen. There is no guarantee any of these will emerge, but it makes sense to start collecting ideas A.S.A.P.

* Code folding
* Proper Unicode support (CE does not seem to have full Unicode support)
* Open/edit remove over Secure FTP (SFTP) with SSL
* No registry dependence
* Linux/Mac version
* Customisable/new toolbars
* Keyboard customisation (e.g. changing some of the shortcut keys, including setting up VI-like keybindings)

Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:56:09 am »

There are other two areas on functionality that I use a different editor for.

(1) Binary mode editing.
(2) File differences.

For these two items I currently use Code Genie.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
JoBe
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:59:44 am »

I use PsPad if I want to repeat a macro a given number of times, one of the very few features I was always missing in Crimson Editor.
A nice addition could be more than 10 tools and more than 10 macros. Or a hotkey to load different sets of tools / marcos.
And I simply love the reversed colour scheme.
Everything else looks absolutely perfect to me.
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 11:44:56 pm »

If EE will become open source we should add support for localization already to V1.0, but only supply English. When the clone is done, we will publish how to translate it and soon it will be available in all kinds of languages. Depending on the size we could create a V1.1 with all the languages or the languages will be downloadable on this webpage.

Markus Schulz

PS: I think open source and localization goes hand in hand together.
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 12:49:42 am »

Ok, my thoughts on what can wait, or not be included at all....

Scientific calculator, sure it can be helpful, but I dont think it is quite necessary.

Well that is my short list. However I think we also need to determine when to make any changes to the core. Meaning that if we all agree a certain functionality should be changed, when do we change it? After we have a stable v 1.0 that is pretty much a CE clone, or as we are developing that first version. It might add time and effort to the initial version, but it should be less time and effort than going back and changing something.

Do we want to create some sort of roadmap/timeline of expected milestones? Even if it is just rough it would give us a target by which to get things done and make decisions by.

Dave
Dalai-Lama
Miner

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 12:56:47 am »

I think that we should and we have to do a roadmap with milestones.
Even if theirs a lot of milestones before the v1.0, we have to do this, because without a visible road with with some steps, the project will go in lots of directions, and will never end because noone see where we go.
alidanish22
Prospector

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 02:55:35 am »

Fernando Alonso writes on the crimson editor mailing list. I am copying it here. It includes a link to a requirement document.

==================
Hi,

I found this on the net:

http://www.csis.ul.ie/Modules/CS5702/Docs%5CCrimsonKovitz.pdf

It might help since I think it is the first reqs
document for the original editor.

I am sorry I can not help on development since I
have not much time but I will sure help feat. testing.

I am in favor on doing it in C++ (so it is fast)
but I think some of the Eclipse IDE classes should be
used so the emeral editor is a C++ port of the
eclipse.editor.* classes and independent multiplatform
exe files can be generated.

Fer.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »

I agree with building a roadmap, at least to get us to v1.0 for the moment, simply because I don't know exactly where EE should go from there. The 1.0 roadmap will include the absolute minimum requirements to be considered as a 1.0 editor, with the highly required features bringing it up to 2.0.

I'll post the roadmap on the forum shortly, because even though it is a map, it is not yet concrete.

weeruowieru
Prospector

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 02:21:02 pm »

* Clean, simple interface, without bloat of hundreds of cool-but-almost-never-used features.
* Very quick'n'easy searching - highlight anything and hit F3.
* useful, intuitive keyboard shortcuts (ctrl+[] to jump between brackets, easy changes of word case, etc.)
* ability to launch external application with current word as parameter
* automatic backups in special directory