Emerald Editor Discussion
June 25, 2017, 01:07:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Subversion  (Read 11262 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: May 03, 2006, 06:52:54 pm »

I'm just in the process of getting Subversion on the server - as we speak.

If there are any glitches with the forums or anything else, I'm sorry, but hopefully downtime should be at an absolute minimum (I'm not linking Subversion to Apache as a module)

As soon as Subversion is available, I'll post again.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 10:27:58 pm »

I think I've got it set up.

Due to the way the server is configured (mainly the virtual hosting etc), several domains can theoretically be used to read/write the repository.

The preferred one, however, is svn.emeraldeditor.com - plug svn://svn.emeraldeditor.com/ into your Subversion client and you should be able to browse the repository. I will shortly be adding something like ViewCVS to http://svn.emeraldeditor.com/ as well, and although you could in theory use svn://emeraldeditor.com/, this is strongly not recommended (it'll only work until I figure out how I can bind it to svn.emeraldeditor.com only)

It's readonly at the moment - anyone looking to commit, please email me at sleeping [put-an-at-sign-here] myperch.org, with username and password and I'll add it in to the config. Please DON'T give me the same password you use for, well, anything else, because I can't guarantee the security of my email or the EE server.

Access to the server internals is limited to, well, me. But just in case, please give me a different password to everything else you use. I promise I will not make the information available to anyone else.

In the repository at the moment is a copy of the license (LGPL), a brief readme, and a brief credits list. (I didn't have anything else to add at the moment)

Trees within the svn repository currently are: docs (for the documentation, excluding the docs listed above) and emerald for the main codebase.

Any problems, please let me know! I've not set up a SVN repository before so maybe I got something a little wrong...

BTW, it's on the default port 3690 (I'm using svnserve)

dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 11:28:18 pm »

OK, that was fairly painless  Smiley   I got tortoiseSVN and set it up right the first time. I even checked out the files you put up there.

Now all we need is some code to work on, which means I'll need to pull out all my old C/C++ books - if I can find them.

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 11:36:56 pm »

For the record, I've been using RapidSVN for Windows, seeing how I'm still using Win98.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 12:23:16 pm »

Now that I have SVN services set up, I've been reviewing solutions for browsing the repository.

Provided no-one disagrees, I'm going to add ViewVC support. tonight if possible, so you will be able to browse the repository via http://svn.emeraldeditor.com/ - whatever I do add (whether ViewVC or not), it'll be set up to run here.

The subdomain is not set up yet to listen for HTTP (though it is set up for SVN) and browsing to it will only give you the standard Apache installation page. Again, as soon as I get it set up I'll post here.

SnakE
Miner

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 12:23:21 am »

Since SVN does not have labels as such, it's customary to have a 'trunk' tree which contains the current source, and a 'tags' tree for tags.   Versions are tagged by copying the sources into subtrees of that special tree.  Therefore you usually have:
Code:
trunk
  docs
  credits
tags
  before-we-start
    docs
    credits
  version-01
    docs
    credits
etc.  On the other hand, you may have trunk/tags trees within the emerald tree which will also work but won't allow to tag documentation, copyright info and readmes along with sources.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 01:56:09 am »

Subversion services are currently down. I am in the process of installing a more recent Subversion server (my server's distro only gave me 1.0.6 to play with!!!)

As soon as SVN is back up, I hope also to announce ViewVC as well.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 08:25:58 pm »

SVN is back up now, under version 1.2.0 or something.

I'm still configuring ViewVC though.

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 07:45:37 pm »

ViewVC is now operational! I will theme it up shortly, but for now, you can browse the tree.

I have modified a couple of the headers slightly, and I'll be customising it a little more soon.

daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 12:04:30 am »

I'd echo SnakE's idea to create the top-level directories:

trunk/
tags/
branches/

And then move all the current things into trunk/. It's the most-common way SVN is setup and most developers who use SVN will be familiar with that.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 11:41:41 am »

I don't see why not, to be honest. I only committed the earliest stuff just to test the repository, and the most recent commit literally was to take everything we already had and get it into the new database.

As alpha is doing some of the early development, I'd like his comments before doing this, but I don't see a problem with it.

In other news: I have now finished messing around with ViewVC's templates and brought it in line with the main EE site theme etc.

alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 03:42:53 am »

All done, I hope this is how it should look...

Markus Schulz
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 12:18:04 pm »

The new structure looks good to me. I'll also see if I can't tidy up the layout which has issues when viewed under IE (darn that non-standard handling of HTML elements!!)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: