Emerald Editor Discussion
October 19, 2017, 04:39:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Column ruler  (Read 4732 times)
MikeInPlano
Prospector

« on: January 20, 2011, 04:22:30 pm »

How about a ruler across the top of the window showing column numbers?  I view and edit a lot of ASCII files with non-delimited fields.  Which is to say, the records have lots of numbers and characters strung along with little or no visual cues about where each field begins and ends.  I often add in a couple temporary rows at the top of those files, one with values 1-0 (1234567890123457890) and one more above that to demarcate the 10's, so I end up with:

1               2              3

To help me locate specific fields in the file.  Having a ruler across the top would help.  Having a cursor position indicator is useful, but isn't the kind of visual tool I'd like to have to more easily view the records.

And with that, it would be helpful to be able to set vertical lines at specific columns to further demarcate columns, similar to what Excel does when importing a text file with fixed length fields (rather than delimited).  I envision enabling the option to set veritical lines, then clicking once at a column position to set the line at the left side of the column and clicking again (or double-clicking) to remove it.  Dragging lines (again similar to how it works in Excel) would be nice, too.
mocallins
Miner

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:07:49 pm »

I use it as a reminder to try and not let the lines I'm editing, get to far past the guidelines of whoemever I'm working for.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: