Emerald Editor Discussion
April 23, 2017, 04:45:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Window 98 support  (Read 42251 times)
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 02:45:24 pm »

Is it possible for one of you to implement this header file and make sure it works fine on VS2005? I will check out the code and compile on Win98 then?
PN.

Which header file? Not saying I'll be able to do it anytime soon, but I don't see an attachment or link out of your post. Did I totally miss something?
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 03:52:42 pm »

2 Rageboy

Probably the only descent solution will be to create a header that will be included only by VS 6 that define those missing codes. You can find the values for the missing codes at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms927178.aspx. Once I get VS 6 back on my comp, I can implement that if you don't beat me to it.

Phil

That's what I was talking about.

I'm assuming this should be something like:

#ifdef VISUAL_STUDIO_6
#include "win98_defs.h"
#endif

With win98_defs.h having some definitions from the link above. You can see level of my perception is not too high. It will take me too much time to figure that out and if you guys can code that it will help A Lot!

Cheers,
PN.

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2007, 04:06:30 pm »

oh ok. Hm.. that looks rather yucky. I'd have no idea what to include and what not to. I could just make a header out of all of them, but I would want to script that, not do it by hand. Unfortunately I don't know any scripting Sad. The stuff on that particular link also don't look like they apply, which shows my level of understanding Undecided
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2007, 04:10:40 pm »

Ok edit i need to stop posting before I look into stuff. If you could compile a list of the missing....well actually that won't work. I was going to say if you could compile a list of the missing keys, I'll put them in a header, but then I realized that you won't know all of the missing keys until you include each one. I don't know how easy it would be for me to use VC++6, but we'll see what I can do. No guarantees. I do think you're right about the syntax for the include, but I'll need to figure out what to replace VISUAL_STUDIO_6 with...if we can. I wonder how much of a problem it would be to do the include unconditionally.
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2007, 05:30:56 pm »

ok. I got something as far as VC version. Where should we put it?

Code:
#if defined(_MSC_VER)
// MSVC 5.0                  _MSC_VER   = 1100
// MSVC 6.0                  _MSC_VER   = 1200
// MSVC 7.0 (VC2002)         _MSC_VER   = 1300
// MSVC 7.1 (VC2003)        _MSC_VER     = 1310
// MSVC 8.0 (VC2005)        _MSC_VER    = 1400

PN

rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2007, 05:43:58 pm »

If _MSC_VER is defined, can't we just do something like
#if _MSC_VER == 1200 (I don't know #if sytax too well)
#include win98 header
#endif

and win98 header should probably be VC6 header. I'm wondering if we can #include that header in the build options in the VC6 workspace so we don't need to worry about the if checking.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2007, 07:44:55 pm »

yea, you should do #if _MSC_VER < 1400 to get all the versions before VS 2005.

Phil
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 08:31:31 pm »

I checked the Windows 98 EULA, and it seems Windows 98 was licensed only to run on the hardware it came with. I don't know how that would work with having it in stores without hardware though. But due to the legal issues with obtaining someone else's copy, I decided to forget about obtaining a copy unless I become convinced that there is a way for me to get a copy very cheaply and completely legally.

Also, considering that Microsoft itself does not support Windows 98 or Windows Me, I have decided to consider Windows 98 support to be a very low priority goal. However, if someone wants to work on supporting it themselves, go ahead. Also, because I don't want to install VS 6 on my XP system, I doubt I'll work on supporting VS 6 anymore.

Phil
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2007, 09:20:14 pm »

Ok,
Fare enough. I'll stop working on it then too. I'll be glad to get Linux back on my box.
Cheers,
PN

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007, 08:30:20 pm »

There are 2 licenses for Windows 98, an OEM license and a non OEM license. OEM licenses are those you obtain when you buy the PC, and get Windows with it. I think my Win98 license is OEM and I know my WinXP license is not, because I specifically bought it that way.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2007, 08:38:51 pm »

Arantor,
How do we figure that out? Does it say it during installation? As far as I can see licensing seems to be the only problem. Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to figure that out. And if it's not OEM license then does it mean that only one instance of the software can be installed at time?

Thanks,
Pavel.

Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007, 08:51:21 pm »

I checked the Windows 98 EULA, and it seems Windows 98 was licensed only to run on the hardware it came with. I don't know how that would work with having it in stores without hardware though. But due to the legal issues with obtaining someone else's copy, I decided to forget about obtaining a copy unless I become convinced that there is a way for me to get a copy very cheaply and completely legally.

Technically if I have a mouse i can supply Windows OEM with that mouse..

So if you have w98 & still have a piece of the computer that it came with then you can sell the OEM copy as long include that piece of hardware.. Very grey area but still legal. ( I have seen several big online stores selling XP this way)
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2007, 09:01:48 pm »

I don't follow that. I have a mouse! How do I prove that this is the mouse from this PC?

Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 09:02:43 pm »

I don't follow that. I have a mouse! How do I prove that this is the mouse from this PC?

Hence its a grey area..
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 09:08:18 pm »

Phil, the easiest way of figuring it out is going by what the box/CD/packaging say. In my XP box, for example, I got a leaflet on starting to use XP, including a "What this version of XP is for" type section.

Under it, it said it was suitable for people who have a previous version of Windows prior to Win98 or another operating system and are upgrading to XP. Since under that description, I can't have bought it as an OEM copy, or upgrade copy (since I deliberately wanted to not upgrade my 98 license), and thus it's a non-OEM copy.

If the manual or CD box or equivalent says "Only for use on the computer you purchased it with", it is an OEM version, although in practise the differences are minimal (IIRC it's a different check the SETUP runs, to see what's installed, or not as the case may be)

As to reusing licenses, it is a very grey area. It depends mostly on the definition you apply to "computer" it came with. If I replace, over time, each component of the machine (even down to case etc.), does that now make it a new computer? Or does that mean I have to buy a new copy of the OS since eventually I'm left with nothing of the original machine?

I have a feeling there is a clause in the EULA somewhere about transferral of license provided that you retain none of the original materials - I'm not a lawyer but I would interpret that as being able to transfer the license back to myself provided I keep some of the original hardware. It would be very, very difficult to prove.

I will have to go back and re-read the EULA...

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: