Emerald Editor Discussion
August 23, 2017, 01:42:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New Logo designs  (Read 35607 times)
whatever
Miner

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 10:03:56 pm »

Is that a final? Wink

* emerald10c.png (21.71 KB, 128x128 - viewed 635 times.)
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 10:16:15 pm »

Well, I can't see the back emerald through the front one. It is nice though.

Phil
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 10:16:42 pm »

Oh, now I see it. It's just faint.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 10:20:05 pm »

Hate to reply three times in a row, but I think that may just be it right there. I don't know if it should be changed.
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 10:20:47 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, it's a final. The amount you can see is just right IMO
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 12:24:50 am »

All very pretty, but I still prefer a single emerald.  I don't really get why there should be two.  I am definitely not sold on one emerald per word.

When the icons get really small, there is definitely a very strong disadvantage to doing anything but the simplest, cleanest possible design.  My preference for a large icon is simply a higher-resolution version of a small icon.  This might have enhancements like better colors and shading, or even another facet row (as in the current logo at the top of this page, or emerald3.ico).  But not a whole other emerald.

Call me stodgy and old-fashioned, but I am a big believer in elegance and simplicity (which Emerald Editor itself supposedly strives for).  Ornament is cruft and should be avoided unless there is some very compelling reason.

(The second emerald is a perfect candidate for an optional plug-in. Wink)

John
KjeBja
Senior Miner

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 06:31:28 am »

I agree with you, John, a single emerald is enough. Apart from that, out of the three last ones, I think I prefer 10b. I suggest you remove the emerald in the back, whatever, and let's see what it looks like. If you could make different sized ones, that would be good.
Pvt_Ryan
Master Jeweller

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 09:19:56 am »

thinking about it, i still really like number 9 and a second E on that would look sweet.. However the name of the product is EMERALD EDITOR. So a Single Emerald would repersent the word EMERALD and the E in the centre would repersent the word EDITOR.

Just a thought although i do quite like the final one..
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 01:23:47 pm »

I do see where John and KjeBja are coming from. I don't really have a problem with either approach. Although it is more intuitive if the large picture is just a higher res version of the small picture. If you do, I'd suggest taking 10, making it one of those emeralds, and making it straight up and down.
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 09:48:10 pm »

IMO there is nothing bad about having different high-res and low-res graphics. I still stand by 10c as the best one so far, but I do not suggest using it for low-res graphics. I think 10c would blend well with Vista Aero and OS X. I think we should adopt 10c as our logo. As for two emeralds, we do call it EE on the forums, so it makes sense to me. However, lower-res graphics should probably have only one emerald.

Just my opinion,
Phil
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 09:55:10 pm »

I just had a thought. What if, on the small if not large, the E's were "etched" into the emeralds.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

From the activity patterns in the forums it looks like the color needs to be changed to red.  Sad
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2007, 05:50:09 pm »

If you have a windowing system/code base, it would help tons! Smiley As far as I can tell, that's what we're waiting on.
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2007, 06:53:25 am »

Very random thought here, not that carefully considered or anything, just throwing it out there:  If you must have a second symbol, instead of a redundant emerald, perhaps it could be a notepad?

Or have an emerald on the cover of a notepad?

Just thoughts.  My first choice would still be just a single emerald by itself.

John
rageboy
Jeweller

Ankit Singla

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2007, 12:09:56 pm »

I like the second idea. Obviously not for a small one, but the higher res picture, definitely would be cool to see a notepad with an emerald on it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: