Emerald Editor Discussion
March 27, 2017, 01:34:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New Logo designs  (Read 34182 times)
whatever
Miner

« on: June 23, 2007, 12:06:05 am »

Personally I don't like the current logo, therefore I came up with this one. I've made it in 15min. and I think it's quite pleasant and distinctive. Hope you like it.

Update: I'm so fascinated about the project that I've made another one.

* emerald.png (16 KB, 128x128 - viewed 926 times.)

* ee.png (21.6 KB, 128x128 - viewed 910 times.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:51:52 am by whatever » Logged
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 01:28:02 am »

Thanks, but no offense. I like our current logo better. We'll see what others think.

Phil
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 02:15:43 am »

It is distinctive, and when we finally wheel EE out, I get the feeling some people will like it.

Personally, I like our current one, but I guess I'm used to it now as well, so I'm a little biased.

I'm happy to run with the majority on this one.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
whatever
Miner

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 02:26:27 am »

I guess I'm used to it now as well, so I'm a little biased.

Thanks for the comments. Well, I can see your point and I understand your commitment. On the second thoughts, the current logo goes nicely with your philosophy... but then again, you can always use mine as an alternative and no credits needed.

Can't wait until the release. I place great hopes in your project and keep my fingers crossed for its smashing success.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:29:29 am by whatever » Logged
MichaelDotNet
Miner

Now I shall smite you.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 05:13:00 am »

Perhaps a combination of the two?  The Ee over the Emerald icon?  Be curious to see what it looks like...

as an aside does anyone else think the current logo looks like a rupee from Legend of Zelda?
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 05:44:04 am »

I think both of whatever's designs are attractive and distinctive.  However, I also prefer the current logo.  The reason is not that I am used to it; rather, I think it is more "emeraldy".  I think it screams out EMERALD, whereas the e's make me think of math.  Euler's constant in the one case, or Euler's constant raised to Euler's constant in the other.

I happen to love math and am about as much of a math junkie as one can be without actually being a mathematician.  However, Euler's constant (or scientific notation, or anything else I can think of which is evoked by a lowercase 'e') has little to do with either program editing or the Emerald name.  The current logo does a better job of branding.

I will say this:  I think the current logo (as it appears in the banner of this Web site) could stand some freshening.  I don't know if it's just the thick black outline that makes it feel lower resolution than it really is, or if it truly needs more XP-ization (if not Vistafication).

Also, it certainly would not hurt to include whatever's designs as alternates that the users could select if they so prefer, as he or she has suggested.  (I am thinking of the way icons work in Windows; I don't know how *nix or Mac does this.)

John
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 05:48:14 am by John Yeung » Logged
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 08:29:59 am »

as an aside does anyone else think the current logo looks like a rupee from Legend of Zelda?

lol yes, I have thought that before.

whereas the e's make me think of math.  Euler's constant in the one case, or Euler's constant raised to Euler's constant in the other.

I thought that too Smiley (I'm a math/comp sci double major in college)

Phil
whatever
Miner

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 12:12:30 pm »

Perhaps a combination of the two?

Like these?

* emerald3.png (19.41 KB, 128x128 - viewed 913 times.)

* emerald3b.png (19.26 KB, 128x128 - viewed 914 times.)

* emerald3c.png (19.83 KB, 128x128 - viewed 913 times.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 12:50:58 pm by whatever » Logged
MichaelDotNet
Miner

Now I shall smite you.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 03:42:30 pm »

You know, I think I really like that first one...I have a thing for rounded icons though, they look good in my RockedDock Smiley
John Yeung
Senior Miner

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 05:32:33 pm »

Of those last three, I like the first one best.  The deeper and more vibrant green is definitely better than the paler, duller green.  (Besides simply being more attractive, real emeralds are deeper colored.)  Also, I like the larger size of the emerald.  However, I am not quite sold on its tilt.  Finally, and most subtly, the lighting doesn't seem coherent to me.  The circle apparently has one light source and the emerald has a different one.

Whatever, I hope you don't take my comments negatively.  It's nice to see your ideas.

John
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 02:55:12 am »

I'm afraid when that is shrunk down the emerald will be hard to notice and it will look like a green circle with nothing in it, especially for people who don't have good eyesight. I still vote on the current icon.

Phil
MichaelDotNet
Miner

Now I shall smite you.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 05:16:40 am »

I agree that the current should be the default, but these could be added as additional icon resources...
whatever
Miner

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 09:53:38 pm »

I really welcome all your comments and appreciate your critique. Honestly, I don't insist on using any of my logos if you don't like it. The logo should  appeal to more or less everyone using Emerald.

That should look better when shrunk.

* emerald4.png (22.34 KB, 128x128 - viewed 899 times.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:56:12 pm by whatever » Logged
Phil
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 12:26:50 pm »

I admit, they are getting better. And I hate to keep giving negative feedback, but I guess part of the reason I like the current one over all yours so far is the outline even looks like an emerald in our current one. In yours, the outline is always a circle.

Phil
pn8830
Global Moderator
Jeweller

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 01:51:07 pm »

These are nice graphics. I think the most difficult thing is to make the logo recognizable in 16x16 icon since that's what will be used in the title bar. Unfortunately there is not too much room there Sad Once 16x16 looks cool it's possible to make it bigger.
BTW I like the idea of diagonal emerald, it's more dynamic.
Thanks,
PN
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:22:07 pm by pn8830 » Logged

Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: