Emerald Editor Discussion
March 27, 2017, 11:41:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: A logo!  (Read 37818 times)
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2006, 01:34:53 am »

Ok, got the favicon now - had to manually clear my cache. I'm using Firefox 1.5 though, and I did ctl-F5.

I saw the emeralds next to the names but didn't think that they were new, now that I actually think about it - I guess they'd have to be though - doh!

Overall, I think things are coming along great. I'm having fun just talking about creating EE, we could just keep doing this and not actually build anything  Smiley

Dave
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2006, 01:41:58 am »

Quote from: Feldon
"Open-Source Utility Text Editor for Windows / Linux / BSD / Mac-OSX"
You're right maybe a bit vague, with the word 'utility' in there. Maybe 'multi-language'? On the other hand, all the banner needs to do is grab their attention and get them to read a bit more on the site. On the main page there should be a short, direct description of what it is. A short paragraph or bullet points that can tell the reader what they want to know. A more detailed description and list of features would be elsewhere.

But there should be something on there about the multiple languages either the current 'multi-purpose' or something else.

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2006, 01:48:15 am »

How about:
Open-Source Many-Purpose Text Editor for Windows / Linux / Mac OS X / BSD
It is many-purpose, not just multipurpose. And, no disrespect to the BSD people out there, I think it is more of a fringe system than, say, Linux (yes, I know OS X is built on BSD), at least that is its perception, so I don't want to intimate that we're putting BSD support ahead of Mac, even though in reality that is very likely how it'll turn out.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2006, 12:18:26 pm »

For any comments regarding the Emerald theme/forum colour scheme, please direct them here: http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=56
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:47:04 pm by Arantor » Logged

Chromatic Aberration
Prospector

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2006, 10:23:44 am »

Good work, Nick!
I like the less bloated graphics, like C and D...
Maybe you would consider somehow merging the emerald (the graphics) and the letter 'E' of Emerald (the word). A bit like this:

(very rough sketch!)

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
hoeltgman
Miner

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2006, 01:14:14 pm »

If you want merge both... I would recommend that instead of fading the emeral, make the E a bit darker and don't fade the emerald.
Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 11:03:04 pm »

By the way, I like the emerald (as in the gemstone) logo set.  Arantor's cat looks good, too, but it looks a lot like the one from iReports:

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2006, 11:10:27 pm »

Well, I didn't see the iReports one, I've never heard of it! I just drew something quickly that would fit between the cartoony images in CE and yet be slightly different.

Matthew1344
Gem Cutter

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2006, 12:31:02 am »

My apologies if it sounded like I was accusing you of copying it.  I didn't mean that at all.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 05:37:20 pm »

No offense taken Smiley

I simply meant that I had drawn mine without any prior knowledge of the other one. It's a case of "Great minds think alike (while fools seldom differ)" or something like that Smiley

Actually, iReport's looks better than mine, but I guess they spent more than 10 minutes drawing it.

Nick
Miner

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2006, 03:57:15 pm »

1st point ; the tagline...

Open Source text editor for Windows / Linux / BSD / Mac-OSX

Open Source utility text editor for Windows / Linux / BSD / Mac-OSX

Open Source programmer's text editor for Windows / Linux / BSD / Mac-OSX

(...)

I'm thinking that the 1st has pretty much everything we want to say, all we're really looking for is a cool adjectif to insert before "text editor". I've yet to think of a good one that doesn't sound tacky or make EE sound too specialized, maybe it would be best to leave it as is, so as to prevent confusion... ?

2nd point ; banner design.

B & C haven't changed and the next one (E) is what I came up with after trying to cross-breed B & C ; the wavey bits didn't "work" in the smaller space so I just added a gradient background, colour & B/W.

I still want to spend a bit more time on the main logo (ie : the one on the homepage), but it would be good to sort out the details like tagline etc first. Same goes for "built with" buttons etc...
hoeltgman
Miner

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2006, 05:57:49 pm »

Hey I like your two last banners! Looks great with the gradient background!
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2006, 06:07:54 pm »

1 3 and 4
I do like the background text in the picture...looks high tech to me.

Assuming we wish to HAVE a slogan, that to me would tell us if we use 1 or 3/4

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
mytreo
Miner

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2006, 06:47:27 pm »

Must say I really do like the emerald gem as an icon. Very neat.

Arrantor, no offense, but I think your cat looks like an owl! Wink

PS: out of those logos I think 1 and 2 look best. The code in the background on 1 is a very clever idea as it appeals to the coder and makes one feel immediately comfortable that this is a serious code editor. I like it.
Nick
Miner

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2006, 03:14:35 pm »

Quote from: Zhrakkan
Assuming we wish to HAVE a slogan, that to me would tell us if we use 1 or 3/4
Yep, not too sure of that either... I've removed that text from one of the images above.

I've tweaked the logo a bit just to make it look a bit more "balanced" :

Chromatic Aberration : I'm not too keen to put the E in the emerald, imo it breaks up the word a bit too much and I think that the emerald loses a bit of its elegance with an E inside it...

edit : Just realised I barely changed the size of the logo (which is what I had set out to do initiall...), so here's the alternate smaller version :

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: