Emerald Editor Discussion
June 29, 2017, 01:20:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: A logo!  (Read 38856 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2006, 12:16:26 pm »

Dina is a nice font, and so is Proggy that it is based on. However, my only concern is that it brings in a dependence, with possibly cross-platform issues, that we should probably try and avoid if possible.

If I remember rightly, CE uses Courier by default, so perhaps it would be OK to use that - it's a cross platform font (or at least there are variations available across platforms), and it doesn't require installation onto a PC (I seem to recall that no installation, or at least no dependencies was a major request, especially for hotdesking-style users)

It's one of those that we could, perhaps, say "Works well with... (Dina/Proggy)" but I don't think we can include it with the package itself.

There may also be potential licensing issues with our software being (currently) LGPL.

On the subject of the gems, I plan to do the following (I will do so tonight, work won't be an issue) - assuming Nick doesn't mind!! Smiley
* Put a banner on the front page instead of my H1 heading
* Change the favicon.ico to be a gem instead of the cat
* Colour-key the forum CSS to the mid-green of the gems
* Colour-key the main images to the mid-green of the gems

I have a few other plans which... well... hopefully will be a bit of a surprise, but a welcome one!

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2006, 12:23:47 pm »

I like A for a web banner and I think B would be best for a splash screen, but for the splash screen the size should be something like 450 width and 300 height.
The splash screen is the first thing a (new) user sees; this screen that comes up when you start the program should also have a place where we can place a version number (the number will be placed by the program later, so it is easy to increment), the name, the www address and the terms of the license (may a slogan: The only text editor I need! or something like that ??).

Markus Schulz

PS: nice work Nick, keep it up!
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2006, 12:31:57 pm »

Well, ideally we shouldn't need a splash screen - it is part of the immediate loader to let you know that something is happening, and that the program hasn't stalled.

In an ideal world, EE should start up very quickly, and thus no splash screen is needed; besides we're trying to keep it quite lean.

It could live on the About... screen, but I don't want to bloat it up where possible.

Both A and B are definitely web-banner material, and C and D are more restrained so they won't grab you like an ad would need to. If we were to add it in as splash screen/about screen material, B or C would be good for that too.

PS (my initials!) Please keep up the great job, Nick!

Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 01:52:30 pm »

I think a nice logo for the ABOUT screen would be nice...nothing huge...just a good standard logo

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
alpha
Developers
Senior Miner

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2006, 02:11:44 pm »

... on my old pc it takes up to 9 seconds without any info to open CE... I'm not sure how fast EE will be. I also hope we will not need a splash screen.  May we should only display a splash screen if it makes sense, and we determent if it makes sense at run time (and or the last time the user started EE). In this case people with slow PCs see something when they wait and all the others can start working right away.

Markus Schulz

PS: on the same old pc it takes only 1 second to open StEdit , so I think we are fine Smiley
PPS: I think we should have Help->About box.
Nick
Miner

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 03:35:47 pm »

I agree with the comments about not having a splash screen, I for one will disable any splash screen on my first tour of the options on any new software. Besides, as previously stated, EE should be fast enough loading to not not a splash screen.

Banners :

I think that B & C seem to be best suited so I've tweaked them and made two seperate PNGs. I think it would be best to stick to a single banner in the long run just for "identifiability" purposes, so I propose narrowing the choice down to these 2, in concept at least.

Not sure that we need the url in there, seeing as clicking on the banner should lead through to the EE site.

Anyone with any thoughts for a good tagline? My mind is blanking on that a bit...

...and a favicon :

( http://diaboloteur.free.fr/emerald/favicon.ico )

Pete, feel free to use whatever I post here!
However, it may be best to wait until final versions have been achieved...

...and last but not least : a plain old logo for about box/emeraldeditor.com etc... (one with white background and one with transparent background but aliased edges) :

(A tad too large maybe...?)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 03:47:04 pm »

I like the FavIcon...simple and recognizable...

Not that I dont like your work..
I say open up the logo to others for a bit more time...
Just to see if anyone else does something...
But I do like the top one...

dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 04:19:13 pm »

Hmmm, not sure, I like the look of the top one but it is too busy with the code on the right, the bottom one is cleaner and I like that but not the colors as much as the top one.

We'll also need a smaller logo/image/icon to use as a link. So that people that want to put a link on their own site to EE can use an image if they like.

Dave
Nick
Miner

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 04:49:54 pm »

Yep, I'm very aware of the fact that I seem to be running away with this a bit. Although hopefully the feedback on the images I've been producing should be useful to anyone else.

This is the sort of thing that's good to get right first time round, so even though I'm knocking pics out quite quick, we should probably give it some time before committing to anything. Besides, I'd quite like to see some other peoples ideas too!

Which reminds me : I offered the source PSDs a day or 2 ago, they're now available here for anyone who wants to play with them.

Anyways...  I like the top one too!
(But I'm not so keen on the logo, the relative sizes & layout need fiddling with...)
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2006, 04:54:29 pm »

I like them Nick, you have done good work...I am so damn picky, I can never "pick" just one...

ARG!

Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006, 12:40:15 am »

Quote from: Arantor
* Put a banner on the front page instead of my H1 heading
* Change the favicon.ico to be a gem instead of the cat
* Colour-key the forum CSS to the mid-green of the gems
* Colour-key the main images to the mid-green of the gems

I have a few other plans which... well... hopefully will be a bit of a surprise, but a welcome one!
Well, let's see what I've done...

* Banner: check
* Favicon: check
Both look real smooth.

* Colour key the forum CSS: check. The links I did and changed back. I think they work better that way. Any thoughts? The new theme, Emerald, is now the default but please feel free to use Lithium (the old one) if you don't like it, or better still let me know so I can change it.

* Colour-key the main page: this is not going so well. I keep getting "nearly" right, but not actually right.

Did anyone notice the other change? Probably not, actually, they were very subtle and only on the main site itself. Go have a look and see if you notice anything Smiley

I will be opening up the resources on the main site shortly.

dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2006, 01:05:06 am »

The banner looks great!!

I still see the cat favicon though!?

I'll stick with the oxygen theme, the emerald was a bit too bright Smiley

On the main site I only see copy changes on the 'New' page and the on the 'About' page you added team members. If it's not those I give up Smiley

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2006, 01:23:34 am »

The favicon was updated some hours ago, maybe your browser's cache needs clearing?

If using IE, try going to the main page then pressing Ctrl-F5.
Or Ctrl-F for Firefox.

Ah... I guess you are using IE, since IE does not appear to support the CSS2 entry I made:

I am going to have to find a way to support that on IE as well as Firefox...

I will add more people on there as time goes on, it's just where everything is in flux right now, I don't want to make changes every few hours.

Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2006, 01:28:07 am »

Firefox 1.0.3 seems to get the favicon just fine...
I got it.

Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2006, 01:32:05 am »

Re: the banners...

Well, I agree with someone else above, B is too busy due to the code, and C is a little to plain, so why not combine the two? Smiley  I'm thinking banner A, but instead of the code, add some kind of light coloured swirly thinga-ma-gig.  Something less busy.  Further, we could have two banners, identical except one could be left-aligned and the other right-aligned.

Re: the actual text...

I mentioned previously that we want to ensure big-business would not be put-off by this product.  Thats what makes the difference between being used by a small, devoted group of people, and being widely-used by the masses.  As was said, touting that its "free" is tacky and will only hurt the project in the long-run.  I think using the term "Open Source" is fine.  Its becoming more common and well-known so it shouldn't confuse anyone.

I think highlighting the different languages is good, so stick with that.

As for the term Multi-Purpose, its not quite right.  When you think about it, Emerald Editor is actually single purpose, to be the best darned text-editor there is.  What we are really trying to get at is that it can be used for text-editing of all sorts of different kinds of documents and programming languages.  i.e. its multi-environment.

I'm not exactly sure what the replacement phrase should be, here's one thought: "Open-Source Utility Text Editor for Windows / Linux / BSD / Mac-OSX".

Its perhaps a little vague, but I think it at least gives the feeling of both being multiple-environment AND streamlined/efficient/etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: