Emerald Editor Discussion
August 23, 2017, 01:42:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: A logo!  (Read 39399 times)
Nick
Miner

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 03:43:37 pm »

Wow, that seemed to go down well!

I'll knock up a few colour-variants this evening and post them back here.

Feldon, the thought of putting Ee/EE on/over the emerald had crossed my mind but my minimalistic streak kept me from doing anything about it, I'll give it a whirl later today.

If anyone wants the original PSD to play with, you'd be welcome to it, just email me or post your @ddress!
Nick
Miner

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 08:37:04 pm »

Ok, here are a few colour variants...

The changes from the original colour I used are pretty subtle, coz otherwise the emerald seems to loose a lot of the polished effect and looks a bit like a lump of plastic...

My personal favorite so far is A!
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 10:00:40 pm »

Yes! I agree A is my favourite. And if it isn't the exact same as the font color on the pages, hopefully it is just a simple CSS change for Arantor.

Can you get rid of the grey 'A' on the right side though?  Smiley  kidding

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 12:13:18 pm »

I agree, I like A and C most, and A is more suited to the project than C, I think.

Unfortunately, it's not just a simple CSS change for me - the forum might be easy enough to do (I haven't configured the theme of PunBB too hard), but the main site... well... that's not. I'll have a play with my files using ImageMagick (that's how it was done last time, based on the original images and templates I wrote for my other site, www.thevoicesofmany.com but obviously with a colour change.)

Hey, if you changed the A to EE...? Smiley (kidding a bit)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
SnakE
Miner

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 12:54:01 pm »

Nice logo, Nick!  The first impression was very good.  The second thought was: "I don't like its dark side."  Wink  The completely black areas of the gem and the black background increase the weight of the left part beyond acceptable IMHO.  There could be some shades of green as well.

As to the color scheme, I prefer A and D.  Especially D.
hoeltgman
Miner

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 04:40:05 pm »

Well I like A most. Asked my girlfriend... she liked C.
Nick
Miner

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 12:52:09 am »

Ok, well A seems to be pretty popular so A it is (for now at least!).

Arantor, do you use a templating engine for the website? If so I'd be willing to try and tailor something to go with the logo etc. Failing that you can send me the pics and I'll zap them! My email is iconspanker "commercial at" gmail dot com.

Reading through some of the other threads it's just occured to me how young this project is, so there's still loads of time to go... Just to let you know that I'm not ignoring any of the comments, just waiting to see what everyone thinks.

Anyways, spent a couple of hours playing with the banner :

To late tonight to do an E, maybe in the next couple of days!
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 02:16:14 am »

Wow Nick, very nice. I like A and B, not sure about the gray in C and D, and E is a bit plain right now  Smiley

I think I'm leaning towards A more than B, but I'm not sure about the "100% Free" on the right, on the other hand it might look a bit empty over there without it.

Just my $0.02

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 01:15:14 pm »

I *really* like A, B and C. I do like D but I'm not sure others will like it so much. E... well... I'll wait for the official verdict Smiley

My only comments are:
A: The software is not 100% free, not strictly. Free is such an ambiguous word... it is free insofar that it will cost nothing to download, and review for that matter. However the license (LGPL) does have restrictions on copyright etc. It would look bare without it, but perhaps some variation on Price: $0.00, or Price: Free...?

B: EE may not use the same fonts by default as CE, or style, so maybe waiting a bit for that? Then again, we could always configure EE to use CE's defaults by default. The other one is very picky, but I don't know where the code sample used came from, and just in case of copyright it may be worth using some code that is legally OK to include - the source code for www.emeraldeditor.com (with the exception of /forum at the moment) is written by me so that's definitely allowed to use. I know it's a pedantic thing but I don't want anything to suddenly come up and surprise us.

C: Very nice, but I just have a weird feeling of deja vu - it reminds me of the WinNT 4 Server logo...

D: Smooth and sleek but I have the feeling that some may not like it because it may feel a little bare.

On the whole, I really like what's happening here, and I hope to integrate these banners into EE soon, especially as the title for the main page.

On the subject of templates, I wrote the template myself, and it's slightly strange PHP, generating an HTML table. If I remember rightly it's something like 28 images that make up the border, so it'll probably be easier for me to mogrify the images myself, but thank you very much for offering. I hope to do this tonight, but work is causing me a lot of issues at the moment.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
Zhrakkan
Official Mascot!
Beta Testers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 01:35:49 pm »

You know...not commenting on the logos, I like them.
We need to set a tone here.

Model CE, but we need to get it in our heads we are making a new product.  I would advise NOT using the same fonts...ect...

But out of those listed above...
B is my favorite

News Manager and Unofficial Mascot
Join the Emerald Editor Project - Message Me!
Emerald Editor - "A Jewel of an Editor"
-----by the way, that name is pronounced "Za-Rack-In"
ce2000
Miner

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 04:39:48 pm »

wow those icons rock man

I go with C, its nice and elegant Smiley

hoeltgman
Miner

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 05:27:33 pm »

My favourite is C for now (although B would be fine just as well...) The 100% Free in A bothered me a bit... reminds me somehow on low quality Ad....
I found that D is looking a bit naked....
Nick
Miner

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 07:25:35 pm »

:-)

The wording is all pretty rough, these really are just a couple of ideas ; I'd like to hear if there is anything else everyone thinks should be included. I agree with the comments about the "free" bit, it's a bit inappropriate if not tacky.

I'm thinking that "Open source multi-purpose text editor" (or other words to that effect) should be on there, and that the multi-platform aspect should also be highlighted.

The code on B is from a rather well known search engine's homepage, I'll replace it with something original if there are any further editions. Same goes for the font.
daemon
Developers
Gem Cutter

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 05:08:17 am »

When doing the icons, you should also take into consideration that for Vista and any future Mac OS X ports the icons will need to be significantly larger. I think I read Vista will support up to 256x256 icons and at the moment, Mac OS X has a 128x128 icon size.
JoBe
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 11:15:38 am »

Let's bury the cat & dog, these gems are wonderful!!!!!

A,B and C are the best in my view.

Maybe in A, just delete the "free" and keep the "100%". Let the reader figure out what the 100% stands for (usability, speed, performance, bio-degradability, crunchiness, creaminess, whatever.)

Regarding the font, what do you guys think on using the default programming font in the logo? I like the Dina font (http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Jibz/Dina/index.html) myself very much, but it's not a ttf font.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: