Emerald Editor Discussion
May 24, 2017, 04:43:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: A logo!  (Read 38446 times)
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« on: April 30, 2006, 08:22:40 pm »

I was a bit hesitant to start this topic, because I'm not sure about it, whether it needs much discussion or whatever. It has previously been hinted at over on http://forum.emeraldeditor.com/index.php?topic=29.0 but I thought I'd expand it to a proper thread.

I quickly drew the logo which I've made my avatar, as I felt it appropriate to create a newer logo than the cartoony dog that we all know and love from CE. I don't claim it to be outstanding, but it's been 10 minutes work that has grown on me!

Also, I think we could consider a banner logo, kinda like the one on the CE homepage, in red writing.

Do we have any graphic artists here who would be interested in a logo? I just think if we have a logo and a sense of identity for EE, it might help remind us that while we are borrowing heavily from, and leaning heavily on CE, EE is not CE. It may start as a clone, but it will evolve to something slightly different.

Hopefully we can retain that which made CE so popular, and I would hate to lose that, but I want to help remind people that EE is not CE, and CE is not EE. EE is the 'child', if you will, of CE...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:44:36 pm by Arantor » Logged

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!"
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 01:49:18 pm »

I like the cat, the only other thought I have is an emerald, unless we want to stay with the 'animal' theme. And, yes a banner too. Also, we could use something like a link icon, something that could be used by other people to put on their sites to link to EE.

How about it whoever wants to submit a logo, banner, icon, or anything else posts them here and then, after a certain cut off, everyone votes on them all?

Dave
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 02:56:04 pm »

Sounds good to me.

I wasn't planning on making an upload directory available (the server doesn't have FTP support of any kind), but if anyone wants to email them to me, I can post them here for us to debate on. My email is sleeping [the-funny-a-in-a-circle-at-sign] myperch.org (the EE server still doesn't have email set up right just yet)

Just to clarify...

Icons:
- should be 32x32 for the main icon, 16x16 for taskbar-size icons. 48x48 and 64x64 are also allowed for other GUI systems to use them.

Logos:
- no bigger than 468x60 (banner size)

Banners:
- no bigger than 468x60 (I would expect the whole space to be used)

For the record, the cat logo I drew is minimalist, and wasn't intended for the final build, just a quick logo. But if it's popular... run with it!

hoeltgman
Miner

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 04:34:54 pm »

Actually I think the idea with the cat is rather good, but I think it would be better if we would have a cat where the green eyes are better visible. Maybe we should leave the body away and just have the head of a cat with large green eyes....
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 07:20:04 pm »

I did try that, actually, but ended up with something that just looked like the Napster logo...

But if anyone does manage to draw it, I'm definitely interested.

Derek Parnell
Lead Architect
Miner

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:50:56 am »

I've touched up your cat logo. I've set it as my avatar for you to see.

--
Derek Parnell
"Down with Mediocrity!"
JoBe
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 11:22:26 am »

Some suggestions...
The cat is a great idea, especially the emerald green eyes. To stay in the Crimson Editor style, it would have to be the cartoonish head of a cat (think Tom).
The files had a bone and would now of course have to be mice (think Jerry).
We could also use a bigger dog (think Spike).
ce2000
Miner

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 06:14:16 am »

i think the bone should be replaced with a ball of yard or a toy mouse Tongue

Nick
Miner

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 12:40:24 am »

Hi all!

I've had a little session messing around, here's what I came up with :

Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not (Sorry, no animals!).

Comments/criticism/etc welcome!

Forgot to say : yes, the banner will need a bit more filling up...
Feldon
Gem Cutter

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 01:37:00 am »

I lean toward Nick's stuff a little more.  For two main reasons:

1) While the dog, and now cat, are cute, they really don't say much of anything about what Emerald Editor actually is, what it represents.  The way I figure it, if Emerald Editor is a streamlined and very efficient editor, both in terms of performance and usability, then a streamlined/efficient logo, such as a simple emerald above, would be more fitting.

2) I believe Crimson Editor, and now Emerald Editor, are on-track to being useful even in a real-world business environment.  And in a similar vane to the above, I think a cute little cat icon would be a hindrance to that.

Now, to nit-pick about Nick's logo, maybe the actual Emerald should have an EE or Ee embeded in it somehow.  Perhaps the two E's could be placed diagonally and overlap slightly, if you know what I mean.
Emerald Fox
Global Moderator
Miner

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 10:58:57 am »

My opinion, for what it's worth is...

WOW Nick! Your graphics get my vote!!!

...and I agree with Feldons two main reasons for adopting Nick's graphics or something of a similar style.

No signature currently stored in profile.
Arantor
Site Administrator
Administrator
Master Jeweller

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 12:18:52 pm »

Wow!!!

Well, I have to admit I had reservations about the cat icon, I was just hacking something together very quickly, and although it's in keeping with the whole CE-clone idea, perhaps breaking away would be a good idea.

I do like Nick's graphics, and I find myself agreeing with Feldon's comments.

Does anyone prefer the more greeny "green" on the EE frontpage, or the more-turquoisey-green of Nick's graphics? I like both, so I'm just wondering what people think.

Emerald Fox
Global Moderator
Miner

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 12:58:52 pm »

It's me again and my opinion, for what it's worth is...

I prefer the more greeny "green" on the EE frontpage - hopefully Nick can be persuaded to adjust the colour on his logo design.  Wink

No signature currently stored in profile.
dsvick
Beta Testers
Senior Miner

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 01:03:46 pm »

I like Nick's designs, but with the greeny green color. I agree the banner could be filled in a bit - no idea with what though. Should the 'e' in editor be capitalized?

Dave
hoeltgman
Miner

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 03:24:06 pm »

Yeah, with a bit greenier green, they would look fantastic. Great work!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: